Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

No cooking required

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

No cooking required

by John Treder » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:08 pm

I had some leftover strawberry ice cream that was whining to be eaten, and there were some nice strawberries in the store. so...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: No cooking required

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:03 pm

John Treder wrote:I had some leftover strawberry ice cream that was whining to be eaten, and there were some nice strawberries in the store. so...

I love strawberry ice cream, and decided to make home made last week. I love it just out of the ice cream maker, so creamy and delicious. Once it gets stored in the freezer, although still delicious, it freezes so hard and is a pain to have to wait for it to be soft enough to scoop out of the container. My one pet peeve about home made ice cream.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:14 pm

It partly depends on how much cream you put in. Also, I do make it a point to put it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or so before serving.
Yeah, it does get hard, but it tastes SOOOOOOOO good!
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:46 pm

John--I get it. We've been known to have just strawberry shortcake for dinner. When the berries are so fresh and so good, you've got to take advantage of it!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:44 pm

I have a little 4 foot square strawberry patchlet. Last year somebody (squirrels, raccoons, birds?) ate most of them, and for no reason I understand, half of them turned brown and died. So I got two strawberries.
To double-check whether it's just my black thumb or something else, I bought another 6-pack of the cheapos, and stuck them in the ground this spring. I put a 1/2" hardware cloth screen over them, and when they developed fruit (lo and behold, it lived long enough to see!) the bottoms rotted on the rather goopy soil we have here, so I put down some of the plastic fabric that's sold for tenting citrus, and now only some of it rots. I get about half a dozen strawberries every two or three weeks, mostly about the size of raspberries. They're very tasty, but :( not enough for shortcake. I've snacked on them.
Perhaps my thumb isn't the blackness of intergalactic space, but it does seem to be sort of dark gray, regarding strawberries at least.
John in the wine county