Ramps!

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Ramps!

Postby Jenise » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:54 pm

Oh my god I bought ramps. I've never had them before. Never seen them on the west coast before but they were at Pike's Place Market yesterday and I couldn't resist. What shall I do with them? Risotto comes to mind....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Ramps!

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Saute one in a bit of butter and taste it, first. Some ramps are quite pungent.

Risotto is good (all that cheese and starch buffers the garlicky zing). Pickle them. Use them in a quiche. Add to vichyssoise. Dip in oil and salt then grill them over charcoal.

I think it misses the point to cut them up and put them in biscuits or whatever.
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy

Postby Alan Wolfe » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:50 pm

Here in WV they are most often fried with potatoes. I would think that any dish that benefits from strong onion & garlic flavors would benefit from the addition of ramps. Please be advised that they are very strongly flavored, and if you use too many the odor will seem to ooze from the pores in your skin for days, making you socially unacceptable in some circles.

I sent a bottle of ramp wine to Rogov some time ago. As I recall he said it was among the worst wines he had ever tasted, and commented on it's lasting effects.
Alan Wolfe
Country Gent

Postby Jenise » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:36 pm

Jeff and Alan,

Coincidentally, while you guys were typing your responses to me, I was actually in the kitchen doing more less everything you said as if I'd known you were going to say it! Lunch was a carrot risotto topped with skillet-seared ramps and white truffle oil. I decided on the pan-sear because it was the one way I could recall seeing them treated on something I saw on TV, but I tested one first to see how I liked it. And I liked it real well but realized what Alan said about how strong they are (that, and the odor in my car after driving them around for a few hours yesterday), even these tiny ones, and held to dividing one of my three bunches so that each serving had about 6 or 7. These are very small, and I think much smaller than I remember the ones on TV being--6-8 inches long, and most about 1/8" in diameter, and just a few verging on 1/4".

Thanks for your advice, it's reassuring.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Alan Wolfe » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:43 pm

From what you describe, Jenise, the size of your ramps is about normal.
Alan Wolfe
Country Gent

Postby Christina Georgina » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:29 pm

Grilled with a nice steak or roast; chiffonade and wilt in butter as a sauce for ricotta gnocchi. If you get a windfall, make pesto and freeze. Unlimited applications for the fresh pesto.
Said to be difficult to cultivate but I have given freshly dug bulbs to 2 different friends and they now have their own patch. They DO take at least 3 years before first harvest and we are very careful when we hunt to take only some of the largest specimens. THe seeds are very tiny but when broadcast in the fall leaf litter they seem to germinate readily.
It has been too cold to hunt but my friends ramps have lifted off so we'll soon be digging.
Mamma Mia !
Christina Georgina
Wine guru

Postby Howie Hart » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:40 pm

Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo

Postby Jenise » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:48 pm

Ooh, doesn't that look beautiful? Great idea, thanks.
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Howie Hart » Wed May 01, 2013 9:28 am

Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo

Postby Dale Williams » Fri May 03, 2013 10:29 am

I can take ramps "straight" (grilled or sauteed), but that's a bit much for Betsy. Monday did Scott Conant's ramp risotto, features the ramp flavor but as Jeff says the starch buffers a bit.
Dale Williams
Compassionate Connoisseur

Postby Peter May » Fri May 03, 2013 2:16 pm

I saw them growing in profusion along the banks of a canal in Wales last summer but didn't have the wit to take any.

Last month there was an article about them in the newspaper which I tore out to keep to help with identification but I haven't seen any growing since. .

This is the article on the newspaper website. There are cooking suggestions in the comments below
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... arlic.html
Peter May
Wine guru

Postby Dale Williams » Fri May 03, 2013 5:14 pm

Peter, apparently your allium ursium is a different species from our ramp, Allium tricoccum (I knew I hadn't seen flowering while there are still leaves). Sounds milder from a culinary standpoint
Dale Williams

Postby Frank Deis » Mon May 13, 2013 4:09 pm

I don't think I've ever seen a ramp. I've heard about them for years, and a friend from West Virginia talked enthusiastically about "pulling ramps" every spring.

When I looked them up I was surprised at how much the leaves look like Lily of the Valley, or Trout Lily (Dogtooth Violet) (which is what we sometimes see growing beside woodland streams, mostly in March or early April).

I don't think they make it into the stores here in NJ.
Frank Deis
Wine guru

Postby Bill Spohn » Mon May 13, 2013 4:28 pm

Frank Deis wrote:When I looked them up I was surprised at how much the leaves look like Lily of the Valley, or Trout Lily (Dogtooth Violet) (which is what we sometimes see growing beside woodland streams, mostly in March or early April).

Frank, while I grow Dogtooth Violet (Erythronium) I don't recommend it as food, although I don't think it will poison you. Being edible does not = being good.
Bill Spohn
He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Postby Frank Deis » Mon May 13, 2013 7:21 pm

Thanks Bill, but I had not assumed that I could eat either the Muguet flower or the Trout Lily.
Frank Deis
Wine guru

Postby Dale Williams » Mon May 13, 2013 9:45 pm

Frank Deis wrote:I don't think they make it into the stores here in NJ.

While Betsy bought some in Maine at a Whole Foods when she was up there a couple weeks ago, 95% of the ramps I've bought have been at farmers markets. I would assume NJ markets would also have availability (especially if you have farmers who do other foraging, like for mushrooms or fiddleheads).
Dale Williams

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Sat May 18, 2013 2:19 am

Just saw some for the first time ever around here. At $33/lb., I passed.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Mon May 20, 2013 3:19 am

My local greenmarket has them at $16/lb.
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy

Postby Dale Williams » Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 am

Our farmers market had them for $3.50 to $5 a bunch depending on purveyor. Rough guess is bunches average 1/3 lb, so $10-15 per lb.
Dale Williams

Return to The Forum Kitchen