Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Major All-Clad score at TJ Maxx

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Major All-Clad score at TJ Maxx

by Jenise » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:39 pm

Finally got the roasting pan of my dreams, and for only $139. Also, for $99, a six quart braising pan that's super-wide and just under four inches deep. A great pan for cooking and going straight to table with for family-style service.

They had lots of other All-Clad, more than I've ever seen, and what's true of my TJ Maxx is likely true of the one near you. If you've been needing new pans, might be a great time to fish for bargains!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: Major All-Clad score at TJ Maxx

by Fred Sipe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:45 pm

She shoots... she scores!!! Crowd noise and cheers. Great find.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:04 pm

After posting this morning, I decided I better check ebay just to make sure these prices were as good as I think. The braising pan is going for $179 from a private seller and bids haven't closed yet, and it's $250 as a Buy It Now from an online retailer. Yeah, I did GOOD!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:06 pm

You did good Jenise, great find. I must get into the habit of visiting our store!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:14 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:You did good Jenise, great find. I must get into the habit of visiting our store!

I probably wouldn't get there half as often as I do, which is maybe 3-4 times a year, if it weren't next door to our Costco. And lately even less since the housewares section is half what it used to be--the Home Goods chain they've opened have siphoned a lot of merchandise away from the small regional multi-departmental stores like mine.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:18 pm

It's hard to get myself to TJ Maxx -- closest one is in a shopping center I don't visit often -- but I've heard about amazing things (Shun Knives) and last time I went I got some extremely clever plastic food storage boxes -- these are from Germany, the labels are in German, and the plastic is thick and clear, and the top will lie flat but you put it on top and fold down the four sides, snap snap snap snap, and it's a waterproof seal. Great for bringing something for lunch or keeping celery and carrots where I can see them and grab them in the fridge. We also got a really nice 4 wheel suitcase for a really cheap price. Will have to take a look for All Clad...
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:30 pm

We check our local TJ Maxx continually. Thanks to the great buys from high end EEVO suppliers we get almost all of our olive oil there. We also picked up a 6 pack of Spiegelau Vino Grande Bordeaux glasses for $8 on one occasion. The best buy I ever got there, or anywhere for that matter, is a Rossignol ski jacket that retailed for $640 in my exact size for only $48! The only problem with it was that the stitching that joined the two "S"s on the monogram had come loose.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:23 pm

Just got back from checking out one of our local TJ Maxx stores. There was indeed some All Clad stuff available, but it was limited to a few skillets and a pasta/stock pot. Nothing we need.

First time I've been in one of their stores and although I didn't buy anything this time, I plan to go back periodically to see what they have.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:12 am

Sam Platt wrote:We check our local TJ Maxx continually. Thanks to the great buys from high end EEVO suppliers we get almost all of our olive oil there. We also picked up a 6 pack of Spiegelau Vino Grande Bordeaux glasses for $8 on one occasion. The best buy I ever got there, or anywhere for that matter, is a Rossignol ski jacket that retailed for $640 in my exact size for only $48! The only problem with it was that the stitching that joined the two "S"s on the monogram had come loose.

We have a lot of TJ'Maxx stores in our area and they all have a large collection of different olive oils but how do you know which ones are good? Fancy bottles and labels don't make for good olive oil always.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:37 am

OK - we're going to TJM tomorrow. Liz was recently there and found some plates that were not, I repeat not, made in China!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Frank Deis wrote:It's hard to get myself to TJ Maxx -- closest one is in a shopping center I don't visit often -- but I've heard about amazing things (Shun Knives) and last time I went I got some extremely clever plastic food storage boxes -- these are from Germany, the labels are in German, and the plastic is thick and clear, and the top will lie flat but you put it on top and fold down the four sides, snap snap snap snap, and it's a waterproof seal. Great for bringing something for lunch or keeping celery and carrots where I can see them and grab them in the fridge. We also got a really nice 4 wheel suitcase for a really cheap price. Will have to take a look for All Clad...

Shun knives? Oh I'd have been so unable to pass that up.

My best Maxx deal of all time was luggage. Two Victorinox suitcases (the biggest size that you don't have to check) that retail for $400 each were not only there they'd been there at $200 each and then made it to the clearance shelf--no damage, not seconds--(two--matching! That never happens!) for just $100 each. They're so beautifully made that we may never have to buy suitcases again. These two All-Clad pans (I can't believe I finally have the roaster I've always wanted) are probably Best Deal #2.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:17 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Just got back from checking out one of our local TJ Maxx stores. There was indeed some All Clad stuff available, but it was limited to a few skillets and a pasta/stock pot. Nothing we need.

First time I've been in one of their stores and although I didn't buy anything this time, I plan to go back periodically to see what they have.

That's the whole point of this kind of store, I think. You can't really plan on finding exactly what you want, just treat it like a treasure hunt. You might find a treasure, you might not. But they do have them.

And in your area, you'll also have Home Goods. TJ Maxx and Marshalls are now owned by the same company (it wasn't always the case) and the parent firm has opened Home Goods, which is the size of any TJ Maxx but is ONLY household stuff.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:44 pm

Drew Hall wrote:We have a lot of TJ'Maxx stores in our area and they all have a large collection of different olive oils but how do you know which ones are good? Fancy bottles and labels don't make for good olive oil always.

Drew,

There is a site that posts reviews and ratings for olive oils (oliveoilreviews.com, I think) and I look them up there. If that site does not review the oil or gives it a negative review that is a sign not to buy. Sometimes we will take a flier on an oil if it is really cheap. I'm not saying they are world class olive oils, but they are superior to the standard super market fare and a much better QPR.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:04 pm

my worry would be freshness. TJM/Home Goods are primarily overstock stores, so I would assume most of the products they have were originally intended for another outlet and didn't sell. Which is fine for me for decanters, jeans, fleeces, pans, vinegar. But even unopened evoo degrades with time (especially in glass).
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:34 am

Dale, that is what I was thinking. And that's why I like the Tuscan olive oil at Costco that is actually vintage dated. The latest bottles say something like "October 2012" -- a beautiful green color and a nice taste, not in the same league with the best Tuscan oils I've had, but very nice stuff.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:58 am

We regularly find Fini EEVO at TJ Maxx. It is a good all purpose oil.

Late last fall we found an olive oil from Molise Italy named "La Quagliera" at TJ Maxx. It is a fantastic oil and had a 2011 vintage date. We initially bought one bottle for about $13, then ran back and bought the remaining two after tasting it. How it ended up at TJ Maxx I have no idea. Perhaps the distributor was getting rid of 2011 vintage.
Sam