Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

slow cookers/crock pots and Rice Cookers.....whatchya got?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Re: slow cookers/crock pots and Rice Cookers.....whatchya got?

by Fred Sipe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Karen, I'm with you on the vegetable point, they just get overcooked.

But for ribs or a pork loin and some kraut... mmm!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:32 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Another thought to all this, is that I don't like the consistancy of the veggies coming out of the slow cooker. To avoid that, one would need to add the veggies later in the process.

Agreed, and which is a problem caused by the user/recipe (especially if its a one pot meal) and not the ceramic vessel or the heat source. Things cooked in crock pots don't have to include everything that ends up on the plate but for the salad. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:16 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:Karen, I'm with you on the vegetable point, they just get overcooked.

But for ribs or a pork loin and some kraut... mmm!

I have a nice package of country style ribs, plus sauerkraut in the fridge. I just may have to give the slow cooker a try for this. Do you have a favorite recipe you'd like to share?
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:59 am

No recipe Karen.

I just season the ribs and drop them in the pot. Brown them first if you'd like. Cover with a liberal amount of drained kraut and sliced onions, maybe some sliced apple. Then add a little liquid - beer, wine, water or stock and let it cook for hours and hours on low. I like the kraut to gain some color and the meat to be falling apart.

If you're where the crock pot is at the appropriate time, add some small potatoes on top in time for them to get done.

And interestingly, on the subject of browning (at least in certain recipes) here's an interesting read in the intro to a recipe by Jamie Oliver:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/jools-s-favourite-beef-stew

Maybe fodder for a separate post.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:15 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:No recipe Karen.

I just season the ribs and drop them in the pot. Brown them first if you'd like. Cover with a liberal amount of drained kraut and sliced onions, maybe some sliced apple. Then add a little liquid - beer, wine, water or stock and let it cook for hours and hours on low. I like the kraut to gain some color and the meat to be falling apart.

If you're where the crock pot is at the appropriate time, add some small potatoes on top in time for them to get done.

And interestingly, on the subject of browning (at least in certain recipes) here's an interesting read in the intro to a recipe by Jamie Oliver:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/jools-s-favourite-beef-stew

Maybe fodder for a separate post.

This sounds so good. My kind of slow cooker recipe...thanks!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:52 pm

reviving an old thread- Bittman did an article on pressure cookers couple weeks ago:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/22/magaz ... .html?_r=0
I did the porcini risotto, better than most restaurant risottos (not that that is such a high bar)
Previous