Let's hear it for German Thyme

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Let's hear it for German Thyme

Postby GeoCWeyer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:51 pm

This year I planted in my herb garden German thyme. Even though there is snow on the ground and the temp is definitely below freezing it is still fresh and alive. The thyme is planted on the southside of my garage right next to the garage wall. The snow hasn't covered it all and what is not covered is still fresh and alive.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
GeoCWeyer
Wine guru

Re: Let's hear it for German Thyme

Postby Hoke » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:44 am

Does German thyme taste any different, Geo? It's obviously hearty and cold weather resistant, but does it smell or taste any different?
Hoke
Achieving Wine Immortality

Re: Let's hear it for German Thyme

Postby Karen/NoCA » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:58 pm

George, German Thyme is on of my faves, along with French Thyme. I also have English....love them all. They all have a little different flavor and they also act differently in the garden. My German Thyme is in a pot not far from my kitchen door. It lives with some English Thyme and a few chives that seem to last through the winter because of the pot and an overhanging oak tree.
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer

Return to The Forum Kitchen