Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Sous Vide trial

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Sous Vide trial

by Howie Hart » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:00 am

I think I tried a sous vide dish a while ago (maybe pork roast?), but don't recall the results, so I tried it again a few weeks ago. I used my 20 qt. Rival roaster oven for the cooking: http://www.amazon.com/Rival-RO220-C-20-Quart-Roaster-Oven/dp/B00006BIMC
I had a 4-5 lb. piece of sirloin tip that I placed in a Ziplock bag with a slivered onion and a few garlic cloves. I added about 2 cups of beef broth (from concentrate) and squeezed all the air out of the bag. I filled the roaster oven with hot tap water, set the temp at 150 DegF. and placed the bag in the water bath for 36 hours. I monitored the temp with my cooking thermometer and tweeked the dial slightly, as needed, but it was very consistent. After the sous vide part was done, I removed the meat and placed it under the broiler to brown the outside. Meanwhile, I placed the liquid in a saucepan, with some flour-water mixture and made gravy. The cooking was excellent and I'll do it again. The meat tender enough to cut with a fork and had good flavor. I think I will be a bit more adventurous with the seasonings on my next try.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Sous Vide trial

by Jon Peterson » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:24 am

...and you saved $800.00!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:57 am

Good job, Howie. That's one impressive roaster oven.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Sounds great, Howie.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:15 pm

Jenise wrote:Good job, Howie. That's one impressive roaster oven.

Actually, it's many years old, and mine is painted white, but the rest is pretty much the same.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:47 pm

Just strengthens my belief, as many chefs and home cooks have, that multiple use of products you already have in the kitchen is the way to go. You rarely see a good kitchen with bunches of gadgets, like sifters that you have to crank, when a good strainer does the same thing, as an example! Way to go Howie!