The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Hoke » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:27 pm

ended up being one of the simplest things to make.

We were so impressed with the cranberry relish our daughter did last year, we decided to do it ourselves.

Simple: fresh cranberries, an apple, an orange, put it in a blender, add sugar to taste, and blend.

Quarter the apple first. Slice off each end of the orange, where its all pith and no fruit; then slice or quarter or chop and throw it in.

If you've never liked the gelatinous aspect of canned cranberry, and found it too sweet, try this one.

I've had the cranberry relish with the orange or lemon zest squigglies in it before. This is better.

The tartness is awesome good and mouth watering. You get to regulate the sweetness the way you want it (we like even less sugar than our daughter used). And the flavors really perk up the palate.

Make lots. Keeps for a long time, and we end up using it as a condiment for other things. You could also make jars of it for friends as a thoughtful little holiday season gift.

Sometimes the simplest things still end up being the best.
User avatar
Hoke
Achieving Wine Immortality
 
Posts: 10391
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Rahsaan » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:48 pm

No cooking? That must really be bracing.

Will give it a try.
Rahsaan
Wild and Crazy Guy
 
Posts: 6928
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Re: The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Karen/NoCA » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:02 pm

No cooking, whole orange??
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer
 
Posts: 5264
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:55 pm

Re: The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Doug Surplus » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:40 pm

This is the cranberry relish I grew up with, although we put all the fruit through a hand-cranked grinder. It was something that was done by both grandmothers and handed down to my mother. It remains my favorite cranberry relish, although the fresh one sold by Trader Joe's this time of year is pretty close.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
User avatar
Doug Surplus
Wine guru
 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:17 am
Location: Phoenix AZ

Re: The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Hoke » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:28 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:No cooking, whole orange??


No cooking. Almost the whole orange. I was told to slice off the ends of the orange..the part that is all pith, and then slice or chunk it before putting in the blender. That's what we do.

It is amazingly good.
User avatar
Hoke
Achieving Wine Immortality
 
Posts: 10391
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:09 pm

The words "coulis" and "chutney" come to mind. :D
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy
 
Posts: 2824
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:56 am
Location: NYC

Re: The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Hoke » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:33 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:The words "coulis" and "chutney" come to mind. :D


New York Foodie. 8)
User avatar
Hoke
Achieving Wine Immortality
 
Posts: 10391
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:39 pm

Hoke wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:The words "coulis" and "chutney" come to mind. :D


New York Foodie. 8)

I put a whole chopped thin-skinned orange in my cranberry sauce, too. But I prefer a cooked sauce. I also add toasted walnut pieces and, um, er, 2 oz of Cointreau. :wink:
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy
 
Posts: 2824
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:56 am
Location: NYC

Re: The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Hoke » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:58 am

Did I say Foodie? I meant Uber-Foodie. :D

Was that a "2 ounce" freepour of Cointreau? :lol:

Yeah, guess I shoulda specified a thin-skin, rather than a navel type.

Next time try Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao. That's what I intend to do...if we ever successfully get enough here, since you NooYawkuhs keep gobbling all the stuff up before it gets out west here.
User avatar
Hoke
Achieving Wine Immortality
 
Posts: 10391
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:42 am

Just made a version of this from an Epicurious recipe. It included the cranberries, one orange including peel, and a couple of teaspoons of chopped ginger. I used only half of the orange peel and added some sugar.

Nice stuff that is great with the leftover turkey. Next time, I'll add more ginger, though, as it seems to have lost itself in the mix.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
User avatar
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair
 
Posts: 6932
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:13 am

Hoke wrote:Next time try Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao. That's what I intend to do...if we ever successfully get enough here, since you NooYawkuhs keep gobbling all the stuff up before it gets out west here.

I don't believe I've ever had it. My current fave "chic" orange juice is Solerno, a blood orange liqueur. It was designed to be a cocktail ingredient so it is intensely orange and not at all sweet. A very pleasant contrast to Cointreau or Grand Marnier.
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy
 
Posts: 2824
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:56 am
Location: NYC

Re: The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Hoke » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Hoke wrote:Next time try Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao. That's what I intend to do...if we ever successfully get enough here, since you NooYawkuhs keep gobbling all the stuff up before it gets out west here.

I don't believe I've ever had it. My current fave "chic" orange juice is Solerno, a blood orange liqueur. It was designed to be a cocktail ingredient so it is intensely orange and not at all sweet. A very pleasant contrast to Cointreau or Grand Marnier.


Well, find it then. You'll thank me. I know Solerno, and like it, but the Ferrand Dry Curaçao is in a whole 'nother league.
User avatar
Hoke
Achieving Wine Immortality
 
Posts: 10391
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Hoke wrote:Well, find it then. You'll thank me. I know Solerno, and like it, but the Ferrand Dry Curaçao is in a whole 'nother league.


Dang it, Hoke, you're starting to cost me some money!


:wink:

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
User avatar
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair
 
Posts: 6932
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:43 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Hoke » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:55 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Hoke wrote:Well, find it then. You'll thank me. I know Solerno, and like it, but the Ferrand Dry Curaçao is in a whole 'nother league.


Dang it, Hoke, you're starting to cost me some money!


:wink:


This is what I wrote when I first got a sample bottle.

http://www.examiner.com/article/pierre-ferrand-dry-cura-ao-ancienne-m-thode-is-a-game-changer
User avatar
Hoke
Achieving Wine Immortality
 
Posts: 10391
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Mark Lipton » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:34 am

Jean makes a cranberry relish every Thanksgiving that's a lot like yours, Hoke, but minus the apple (and with a dash of Cointreau added). She got her recipe from "Jane Brody's Good Food Book," which dates itself with the subtitle "Living the High Carbohydrate Way." :D

Mark Lipton
User avatar
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist
 
Posts: 4319
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Rahsaan » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:07 pm

Made this today and it was a big hit. My wife liked it much better than the usual cooked cranberry sauce that I make. In part because this wasn't as tart (I actually added more sugar than I would have preferred, but I guess she liked that!) but also because of the texture.

It went well with salmon for lunch and with tofu and couscous for dinner!
Rahsaan
Wild and Crazy Guy
 
Posts: 6928
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 pm
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Re: The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Hoke » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:58 am

Rahsaan wrote:Made this today and it was a big hit. My wife liked it much better than the usual cooked cranberry sauce that I make. In part because this wasn't as tart (I actually added more sugar than I would have preferred, but I guess she liked that!) but also because of the texture.

It went well with salmon for lunch and with tofu and couscous for dinner!


Glad you guys liked it.
User avatar
Hoke
Achieving Wine Immortality
 
Posts: 10391
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: The big hit this Thanksgiving...

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Hoke wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Hoke wrote:Next time try Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao. That's what I intend to do...if we ever successfully get enough here, since you NooYawkuhs keep gobbling all the stuff up before it gets out west here.

I don't believe I've ever had it. My current fave "chic" orange juice is Solerno, a blood orange liqueur. It was designed to be a cocktail ingredient so it is intensely orange and not at all sweet. A very pleasant contrast to Cointreau or Grand Marnier.


Well, find it then. You'll thank me. I know Solerno, and like it, but the Ferrand Dry Curaçao is in a whole 'nother league.


Finally got a bottle. On a solo spin, not wowed. I like the complexity of flavor, and the dryness, of course, but it seems aggressively spirity and the whack of vanilla is a little too strong. I'll work with it a bit and see.
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy
 
Posts: 2824
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:56 am
Location: NYC


Return to The Forum Kitchen

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests