Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

First Kobocha Squash of the season

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

First Kobocha Squash of the season

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:58 am

Roasted with warm spices and walnut oil. Served with an elegant chicken noodle casserole. Very yummy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: First Kobocha Squash of the season

by Frank Deis » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:43 pm

"warm spices" -- could you please be more specific?

Looks great -- I know I can find Kabocha around here, it seems to be popular in oriental markets.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Frank Deis wrote:"warm spices" -- could you please be more specific?

Looks great -- I know I can find Kabocha around here, it seems to be popular in oriental markets.

Cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, or you could use a favorite chile powder such as ancho. I also used dark brown sugar. Mix together to your taste, then add 1 Tbs. soy sauce, mix again. I mixed all the spices first and tossed them with the squash in a plastic bag, added soy and tossed again. The nutmeg was freshly ground. Be sure to use a good toasted walnut oil such as La Tourangelle, made in California in the French way and all natural. The have the best oils, that I have found in our area.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:06 pm

Anybody ever try a "baby blue Hubbard"? I just bought one, have never had this kind before.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Jenise wrote:Anybody ever try a "baby blue Hubbard"? I just bought one, have never had this kind before.

I picked up one of these a couple of weeks ago, my own first sighting. I don't know if you've ever had the original Hubbard. Very orange flesh, fairly starchy. And huge, as in tens of pounds, I think as big as 50 pounds. You almost need to get neighbors together to share. From memory (which may well be faulty), I think Baby Blue Hubbard might be sweeter. It's certainly a much more practical size for most of us. The Sherman farm on Whidbey grows an heirloom variety they call Sugar Hubbard, sweeter than regular Hubbard and not quite as big but still big enough that most people would be happy with part of one - maybe 20 pounds?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:03 am

Mark, a looooong time ago, my friend Kriss and I got together and roasted one of every kind of winter squash available in my So Cal market, and then did a taste test (with lots of wine, of course). I am not sure if that's when I tried a Hubbard or if it was another time or if I'm dreaming that I've actually tried one--after visiting Australia where we had a DELICIOUS large squat blue-ish squash that was vaguely Hubbard-looking, I got interested in large blue-ish squashes. And I think I decided that the Australian was a lot better (and probably different from) what I got here--but again, my mind is so absent of specifics (with food, that's not typical of me) that I honestly have no idea.

But yeah the size thing on some of those squashes is really offputting. I wouldn't have bought a Hubbard unless the market I was at sold it off in pieces, the way they do (or used to, anyway, can't say I've seen one in awhile) banana squash.

Based on what you had, what would you say is the best way to cook a baby blue Hubbard?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Jenise wrote:Based on what you had, what would you say is the best way to cook a baby blue Hubbard?

I'm probably not the right one to ask; I love roasting vegetables in general, so that's what I did with this one. It ended up a little bit dry, possibly because I over cooked it. I might try steaming next time.

Interesting factoid about Hubbards: I understand most canned "pumpkin" is actually Hubbard.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:38 pm

If it's as hard as the regular version you need to smash it with a sledge and then bake the pieces.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:52 am

What, no chain saw? I thought all you New Hampshire types kept one in the kitchen. :)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:50 am

We always use kobocha to make a thick soup that we freeze to see us through the winter.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Bill, do you use gorgonzola (or another blue cheese) as a garnish? Terrific in squash soups!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:58 pm

Jenise wrote:Bill, do you use gorgonzola (or another blue cheese) as a garnish? Terrific in squash soups!

More often sour cream swirl with chopped herbs or whipped cream swirl with cocoa dusted on it as a faux cappucino (I think you've had that at our place?) but also a tasty Gruyere or Pecorino makes a nice foil, I agree. Much as I love blue cheese, the soup the way I make it tends to be on the heavy side and I feel that the blue cheese would head it even more in that direction. I'll give it a try though.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:19 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Jenise wrote:Bill, do you use gorgonzola (or another blue cheese) as a garnish? Terrific in squash soups!

More often sour cream swirl with chopped herbs or whipped cream swirl with cocoa dusted on it as a faux cappucino (I think you've had that at our place?) but also a tasty Gruyere or Pecorino makes a nice foil, I agree. Much as I love blue cheese, the soup the way I make it tends to be on the heavy side and I feel that the blue cheese would head it even more in that direction. I'll give it a try though.

The salt of the cheese is a great contrast with the natural sweetness of the squash, it punches the latter up even more. You might use more cream in the base of your dish than I tend to, though, which I agree could make the cheese superfluous. But yes I remember the faux cappucino--excellent, and very clever!