Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Crank bread through pasta machine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

Crank bread through pasta machine?

by Fred Sipe » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:38 pm

So I'm watching Iron Chef, Symon vs. someone I don't know, and the secret ingredient is bread.

Both chefs cranked pieces of bread through a pasta machine. One use was as a wrapper to a sort of spring roll.

Got me to thinking what types of bread I could use and to what purpose. Interesting idea or a dead end?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Crank bread through pasta machine?

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:52 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:So I'm watching Iron Chef, Symon vs. someone I don't know, and the secret ingredient is bread.

Both chefs cranked pieces of bread through a pasta machine. One use was as a wrapper to a sort of spring roll.

Got me to thinking what types of bread I could use and to what purpose. Interesting idea or a dead end?

I almost hate to say this, but the first thought that occurred to me was that this sounds like it would work best with Wonder Bread. :mrgreen:

Still, if you have a pasta machine around, it wouldn't require much investment of money or time to give it a try!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:08 pm

I've used my pasta machine to make pierogies. I think it might work for making something like cinnamon pinwheels, rolled up, cut and allowed to rise. Or maybe bread sticks or pretzels.
Edit: HMMM I just re-read the post and you said "bread" not "bread dough", which is what I was thinking of in my above suggestions, so, never mind. :oops:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Use the pasta machine to make thin layers of rye bread. Moisten with sharp mustard. Alternate slices of rye and corned beef (or pastrami). Cut and trim.

It's a Jewish torte! (Decorate it with a Star of David made from pimiento strips?) :lol:
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Fred Sipe wrote:So I'm watching Iron Chef, Symon vs. someone I don't know, and the secret ingredient is bread.

I almost hate to say this, but the first thought that occurred to me was that this sounds like it would work best with Wonder Bread. :mrgreen:

Still, if you have a pasta machine around, it wouldn't require much investment of money or time to give it a try!

I had immediately thought the same thing, Robin. I think those of us whose parents bought Wonder Bread can remember molding it into various shapes before eating (or not eating) it. Cubes and Spheres were my favorites, with the occasional Tetrahedron. I don't think I had learned the list of Platonic Solids back then. It would probably take several slices to make a convincing Icosahedron.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Were they using white sandwich bread or something more substantial?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

by Fred Sipe » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:22 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Use the pasta machine to make thin layers of rye bread. Moisten with sharp mustard. Alternate slices of rye and corned beef (or pastrami). Cut and trim.

It's a Jewish torte! (Decorate it with a Star of David made from pimiento strips?) :lol:

I actually like that idea, Jeff! Was thinking along the same lines.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

by Fred Sipe » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:24 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Were they using white sandwich bread or something more substantial?

Pretty much just a white sandwich bread but it got me thinking.

Brioche? Cinnamon bread?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:15 pm

Yeah, it does make you think. Wonder what would happen if you fried some of the flattened bread?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

by Fred Sipe » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:03 pm

How about layers of butter-fried sesame italian filled with fried sage leaves and crisped shallot rounds and smoked salmon?

Fried Pepperidge farms cinnamon swirl layers filled with cream cheese and maple syrup or peanut butter.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:58 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Were they using white sandwich bread or something more substantial?

I watched that show. They used a pullman loaf--basically, a square white sandwich bread.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:43 am

The Italian sandwich Tramezzini is suitable best for this purpose. I've wrapped venison, or lamb loin with a flattened tramezzini.

1.jpg

At least fried in a pan, cut into pieces, and served with sauce, chestnuts and vegetables.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Oh, is it chestnut season again? I love it when that happens.... :D