What percent milk do you like/use?

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

What percent milk do you like/use?

Postby Jeff B » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:51 am

I think I asked this question years ago on the Friends & Fun Forum. Yet this is probably the best place for it.

I use anywhere from 1% to 2% for cereal (my main use for milk). I find whole milk a bit too rich yet skim milk is too...watery. There's nothing like a nice bowl of cereal with that dash of cream.

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
Jeff B
Champagne Lover

Location: Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Re: What percent milk do you like/use?

Postby Shlomo R » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:43 pm

Big fan of cheese, but I do not consume milk otherwise. Oh, wait - some of my training supplement powders have whey protein isolate in them, too. :wink:
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby Howie Hart » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:53 pm

Most of the milk I consume is put in my coffee, so I buy fresh whole milk in glass bottles from the local dairy.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo

Postby Carl Eppig » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:24 pm

The only milk we keep in the fridge are Chocolate for my coffee, and Goat for true love and cooking. Both full power.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby Ian Sutton » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Been enjoying some full fat, unpasteurised (and un 'homogenised') milk from a local dairy. It is just how milk was when I was young and is a revelation with cappuccino / caffe machiato. Tasting semi-skimmed milk drinks in comparison shows them to be thin and insipid.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:44 pm

Rarely. I generally keep a few long-shelf-life BHT whole milk mini-packages around for cooking applications, and sometimes heavy cream, also for cooking; but neither Mary nor I cares to drink the stuff, and I actually prefer soy lattes. We're not vegan, and I don't have any particular scruples against milk, but it packs an awful lot of fat calories and doesn't really appeal to me, particularly not as a beverage. :mrgreen:
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Karen/NoCA » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:23 pm

Neither one of us drink milk, but do use it on our cereal. I use 1 to 2 % milk depending on what I may be cooking that calls for milk. I only buy whole milk when two of our grandchildren come to stay for a week in the summer. The boy has a hard time keeping on weight, so when he and his sister are here, I buy whole milk.
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:00 pm

I rarely drink milk. My wife, though, is a big fan. Our fridge always has the following in it:

- A half gallon of skim, for drinking out of the glass
- A half gallon of 1%, for cereal
- A quart of half-and-half, for coffee
- A pint or two of heavy cream, for baking

Occasionally, you'll see buttermilk, whole milk, or manufacturer's cream in there as well.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Postby Robin Garr » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:59 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:manufacturer's cream

Okay, I'll bite. What's that?
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:28 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:manufacturer's cream

Okay, I'll bite. What's that?

It's an extra-fatty cream that the market around the corner carries once in a while. (I think it may be known by other names as well.) My wife uses it for making desserts when she can get it.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi

Postby Jon Peterson » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:26 am

We use skim milk for just about everything except coffee, then I use half & half. Once in a while we have a quart of buttermilk or whole milk for cooking purposes. As an aside: When I am talking to customers who do not understand the concept of a light/medium/full bodied wine, I use the analogy of skim milk, regular milk and cream and it works wonderfully.
I just wanted to inform you that I find you to be very attractive. Thank you and have a nice day.
Jon Peterson
The Court Winer

Postby Susan B » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:50 pm

Milk in our house is for cereal, cooking and our cat. (Yes, I know it is not recommended, but she demands it.) So we keep quart of non-fat and a pint of cream. I can pretty much mix whatever I need in a recipe. The only other participant would be buttermilk for recipes, but not very often.
Susan B
Ultra geek

Postby Jenise » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:22 pm

I don't drink milk, but Bob enjoys a glass and 2% is always on hand for him. We do enjoy cappucinos, though, and there we prefer non-fat and that's not conscientiousness talking--it just tastes better, anything more is too rich.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:12 pm

Jenise wrote:I don't drink milk, but Bob enjoys a glass and 2% is always on hand for him. We do enjoy cappucinos, though, and there we prefer non-fat and that's not conscientiousness talking--it just tastes better, anything more is too rich.

And skim has the added benefit of giving a much thicker foam than whole milk.

Mike Filigenzi

Postby Jenise » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Jenise wrote:I don't drink milk, but Bob enjoys a glass and 2% is always on hand for him. We do enjoy cappucinos, though, and there we prefer non-fat and that's not conscientiousness talking--it just tastes better, anything more is too rich.

And skim has the added benefit of giving a much thicker foam than whole milk.

I didn't realize that! We don't make espresso drinks at home, only order them out.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Christina Georgina » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:46 pm

This Wisconsin household of 2 has a gallon of whole, a gallon of skim, a quart of half and half and a quart of cream at all times. Real buttermilk for baking when called for but more often, in a pinch, sour the whole milk with lemon juice to substitute [never satisfied with the result though ]
Mamma Mia !
Christina Georgina
Wine guru

Return to The Forum Kitchen