Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Do you have a favorite cocktail?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Do you have a favorite cocktail?

by Jeff B » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:59 pm

I've already confessed my liking for, yes, Piña Coladas.

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Do you have a favorite cocktail?

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:40 pm

Does Campari and soda with a lime twist in a tall glass full of cracked ice count?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:06 pm

Rum gimlet: Myers or other dark rum, Rose's lime concentrate, green mint cherry, lots of ice, hot summer day.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:44 pm

Not a big consumer but I do have several favorites. In the summer, gin, tonic and a lime wedge quench my thirst. And I love the blend of sugar, lime and mint in a Mojito...not to mention the vision of Halle Berry that one evokes. In the winter, Redbreast Irish whiskey with just a little bit of water.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:28 pm

I guess I drink more rye Manhattans than anything else, but that's partly because they're easy to make perfectly. I also like anything with a good, strong ginger kick to it, so the Horse's Neck, the Dark and Stormy, and the Gin-gin Mule are all high on the list.

In any good bar, though, my favorite cocktail is the one in front of me.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:33 pm

Bloody Marys made with white rum. Got sick on vodka when I was a teen, and haven't been able to touch it since.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:12 pm

#1 with me is the Gin and Tonic - #2 the Sazerac - #3 is most likely the Black Russian. My son does a Sous Vide Sazerac that is fabulous (after refrigeration, of course).

I have to add Manhattans, especially in cool weather.
Last edited by Jon Peterson on Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:04 pm

I almost never drink hard liquor, but once or twice a year I do enjoy a Bombay martini.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:53 pm

Not a big drinker of hard liquor, but I do enjoy a vodka martini now and then only for the two Tom Olives I put into it.
However, I know I could love a lot of fancy cocktails...and for that reason, I stay away.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:19 pm

Jenise wrote:Rum gimlet: Myers or other dark rum, Rose's lime concentrate, green mint cherry, lots of ice, hot summer day.

Oh, Jenise, Jenise, what to do with you? Stylish, sophisticated, polished...and then you go and use Rose's Concentrate Lime Juice. Tsk, tsk, tsk! :lol:

You know that drink---good to begin with---would be sooo much better with fresh lime juice and it's not that much more difficult to squeeze a lime (and even better to muddle that sucker just a bit to relaese the essential oils) than it is to pull that old bottle of Rose's out of the fridge and pry open the heavily crusted top to pour a sip then put it back for further aging. Plus, you do know there's sugar in the concentrate, don't you?
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:12 pm

I, too, notice how big a difference fresh ingredients make with the "champagne cocktails" I've played around with. At least as much as is practical, I try to stay away from concentrate syrups etc. Even with the Piña Coladas I love, I notice they taste so much more...authentic if real pineapple juice is extracted and if the coconut cream is at least semi-true and not just "coconut syrup" or flavoring.

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:48 am

Does Cranberry Juice on the rocks qualify?
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:15 am

Margaritas. The real kind - just tequila, triple sec and lime juice (and maybe a touch of agave syrup) - not ones made with that awful "Margarita mix".

Second would be gin & tonic, then tequila sunrise, if properly made.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:23 pm

Mostly if I want a drink it's "pure" stuff -- Scotch, Cognac, vodka.

But in the summer, it's hard to resist gin and tonic, and that's probably what we have the most often. We also like "on the rocks" Margaritas, with good tequila, Cointreau, and fresh lime juice. None of that "Italian Ice" stuff or even salted rims. Once a year we have a couple of Mint Juleps. After discovering rye, I've tried a few old fashioned cocktails, like the old fashioned itself or a Manhattan. Not crazy about those, though. I could probably get into whisky sours.

On occasion I really do like a Martini, but the way I drink 'em they are more or less pure gin/vodka with an olive.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:54 pm

Frank Deis wrote:Mostly if I want a drink it's "pure" stuff -- Scotch ...

Gimme an ounce of Talisker and a quiet place, and I'm happy. Maybe a little chip of ice in it, but nothing more.
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Just got here

Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:49 am

by Shlomo R » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Rusty Nail - Drambuie and Scotch (single malt or blended) in proportions to the individual's taste. Otherwise, I have a strong tendency to drink things neat.
https://www.bike4chai.com/SolomonRosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again for the 5th time in 2016!
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Frank Deis wrote:Mostly if I want a drink it's "pure" stuff -- Scotch ...

Gimme an ounce of Talisker and a quiet place, and I'm happy. Maybe a little chip of ice in it, but nothing more.

Talisker is a current favorite of mine. I found some older Talisker, can't remember if it was 16 or 18. The smoky character is stronger, I suppose everything is stronger. I don't think it's going to replace the regular stuff (what is it, 10?) as my favorite tho.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:11 pm

Hoke wrote:
Jenise wrote:Rum gimlet: Myers or other dark rum, Rose's lime concentrate, green mint cherry, lots of ice, hot summer day.

Oh, Jenise, Jenise, what to do with you? Stylish, sophisticated, polished...and then you go and use Rose's Concentrate Lime Juice. Tsk, tsk, tsk! :lol:

You know that drink---good to begin with---would be sooo much better with fresh lime juice and it's not that much more difficult to squeeze a lime (and even better to muddle that sucker just a bit to relaese the essential oils) than it is to pull that old bottle of Rose's out of the fridge and pry open the heavily crusted top to pour a sip then put it back for further aging. Plus, you do know there's sugar in the concentrate, don't you?

I hear you, but I just love the taste of Rose's lime--and in pretty strong quantity, too. Real lime juice doesn't get to the same place. And notice I said "hot summer's day". It's a fruity mid-day tropic island kind of libation for me, and that's when I desire it. I'm otherwise not a cocktail drinker, period, which is probably less about proclivity than exposure. I just don't run with a crowd that does that, or to the extent I do they're into vodka-based martinis and I won't touch vodka. I'll happily have a good margarita in the right circumstances (Susan B makes good ones), and if I were to name a cocktail I'd love to form a habit for any day of the year, it would be my latest discovery, the Sazerac. But otherwise, I'm definitely a novice when it comes to bar drinks.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:06 pm

I, too, like rye Manhattans. Just had one this evening.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:19 pm

I'm probably over 50% on Manhattans, mostly bourbon, but I really enjoy a number of other cocktails as well. The Aviation, Negroni, and Ten and Tonic are some of my favorites with gin. Many variations on the margarita, including mezcal. A fair number like the Dirty Girl Scout or Black Russian (sans vodka). Maybe a 7&7 from time to time. It's funny, I can't even remember the last time I drank a cocktail, but I just love them all so much. Except the ones with brandy or vodka.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:21 pm

wnissen wrote: Except the ones with brandy or vodka.

I would drink with you!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:35 pm

Margaritas are a must with Mexican food.
I love a vodka Madras on a hot day, mostly cranberry and just a little orange.
My go to drink though? Please don't laugh... Captain Morgan and Diet Coke (no lime). It's a holdover from college that I've just never grown out of. :oops: They just taste sooo good!
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:49 pm

wnissen wrote:... the Dirty Girl Scout ....

OK, I had to go look that one up.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:46 pm

gin and tonic and bloody mary's don't count - not cocktails; so i guess i'd have to say Sazerac.
david creighton
Next