White chocolate - scrumptious or no thanks?

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

White chocolate - scrumptious or no thanks?

Postby Jeff B » Mon May 28, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm definitely in the "no thanks" camp. For some reason I just don't like the "sweet cream-like" flavor of white chocolate. I miss those cocoa solids and all the coffee-like nuances that dark chocolate possesses. I adore dark chocolate.

Maybe I just haven't had "the good stuff" when it comes to white chocolate?

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
Jeff B
Champagne Lover

Location: Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Re: White chocolate - scrumptious or no thanks?

Postby Carl Eppig » Mon May 28, 2012 6:50 pm

So long as it has cocoa in it we like it; if it's just the vanilla white choclolate forget it. We like the 364 White Cocolate Chunks we get from Whole Foods. The second ingrenient after sugar is cocoa butter.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby Robin Garr » Mon May 28, 2012 6:55 pm

I defer to my bride in matters chocolate, and she firmly states that white chocolate is a misnomer, as it is not really chocolate at all. :P
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Jeff B » Mon May 28, 2012 7:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I defer to my bride in matters chocolate, and she firmly states that white chocolate is a misnomer, as it is not really chocolate at all. :P

That works for me. :)

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
Jeff B
Champagne Lover

Location: Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Postby Jeff Grossman/NYC » Tue May 29, 2012 12:25 am

What Robin said.
Jeff Grossman/NYC
That 'pumpkin' guy

Postby Hoke » Tue May 29, 2012 12:40 am

Robin Garr wrote:I defer to my bride in matters chocolate, and she firmly states that white chocolate is a misnomer, as it is not really chocolate at all. :P

Yup. Mary speaks for all of us. It's just oily, greasy cream, and not chocolate at all.
Hoke
Achieving Wine Immortality

Postby Tom Troiano » Tue May 29, 2012 7:47 am

More agreement. White chocolate is nasty, IMHO.
Tom T.
Tom Troiano
Wine guru

Postby David M. Bueker » Tue May 29, 2012 8:07 am

In all my travels I have exactly two white chocolates that were delicious. The rest were mediocre at best.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Tue May 29, 2012 9:41 am

I have also had an occasional white chocolate item that I liked. That's rare, though, and I'd still agree with Mary that it is not chocolate.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Postby Robert Reynolds » Tue May 29, 2012 12:00 pm

White chocolate is an affront to all good things chocolate.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Robert Reynolds
1000th member!

Postby Paul Winalski » Tue May 29, 2012 12:40 pm

Amen to that, Robert. Even Sandra Boynton, in her book on chocolate, depicts white chocolate enthusiasts as turkeys.

-Paul W.
Paul Winalski
Wok Wielder

Postby Frank Deis » Tue May 29, 2012 3:58 pm

This logic puts me on the horns of a dilemma. I love dark chocolate and I think white is beneath consideration.

Louise likes it, or professes to like it, and often opts for white when there is a choice...

Fortunately she's not pushy about it, and she also really likes the same dark chocolate that I do.
Frank Deis
Wine guru

Postby Rahsaan » Tue May 29, 2012 4:52 pm

Frank Deis wrote:

This logic puts me on the horns of a dilemma. I love dark chocolate and I think white is beneath consideration.

Louise likes it, or professes to like it, and often opts for white when there is a choice...

Fortunately she's not pushy about it, and she also really likes the same dark chocolate that I do.

Not too much of a dilemma. White 'chocolate' is not so much anti-chocolate as it is a product completely unrelated to chocolate. So one's preference for white chocolate could easily have no relation to one's preference for real chocolate.
Rahsaan
Wine guru

Postby Carl Eppig » Tue May 29, 2012 6:14 pm

Sounds to me like a lot of folks have never had good white chocolate made with cocoa butter!
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby Jenise » Tue May 29, 2012 9:15 pm

I like it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Lou Kessler » Tue May 29, 2012 9:51 pm

I like it, but I have accepted the fact that it is NOT chocolate. It's faint competition to a good dark chocolate IMHO.
Lou Kessler
Doesn't buy green bananas

Postby Rahsaan » Tue May 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Sounds to me like a lot of folks have never had good white chocolate made with cocoa butter!

Examples?
Rahsaan
Wine guru

Postby Paul Winalski » Tue May 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:Sounds to me like a lot of folks have never had good white chocolate made with cocoa butter!

With all due respect, Carl, I HAVE had white chocolate made with cocoa butter, and IMO calling that concoction "chocolate" is blasphemy.

Call it what it is--white cocoa butter. But don't call it chocolate, which it isn't.

-Paul W.
Paul Winalski
Wok Wielder

Postby Carl Eppig » Tue May 29, 2012 11:40 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:With all due respect, Carl, I HAVE had white chocolate made with cocoa butter, and IMO calling that concoction "chocolate" is blasphemy.

Call it what it is--white cocoa butter. But don't call it chocolate, which it isn't.

-Paul W.

Does that mean we shouldn't call Vino Blanc wine just because it's made out of grapes?
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby Carrie L. » Wed May 30, 2012 11:19 am

I am not at all a fan of white chocolate, however, you may have noticed I have mentioned several times here that the Todd English restaurant Figs has an amazing white chocolate bread pudding made with challah. I have the recipe and use Hawaiiain bread. It's served with a tart raspberry sauce. We absolutely love it.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (I feel so much better now.)
Carrie L.
Golfball Gourmet

Postby Carl Eppig » Wed May 30, 2012 2:16 pm

This is one of our favorite cookie recipies right now; and can't see it with dark chocolate:

BEV’S OATMEAL COOKIES:

1 C Shortening
¾ C Brown sugar
¾ C White sugar
2 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla
1 T Hot water
1 ½ C Flour
1 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Salt
2 C Rolled oats
2 C White chocolate pieces (12 oz package)
1 C Chopped pecans
1 C Chopped dry cranberries

Cream shortening and sugars. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Add hot water. Stir in flour, soda, and salt; and mix well. Add rolled oats and mix well. Stir in white chocolate and craisins. Drop with a one inch scoop about 1 ½ inches apart onto parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until cookies are light brown. Cookies will be soft when taken off pan. Yield: 4 dozen cookies.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby Jenise » Wed May 30, 2012 3:31 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:This is one of our favorite cookie recipies right now; and can't see it with dark chocolate:

BEV’S OATMEAL COOKIES:

1 C Shortening
¾ C Brown sugar
¾ C White sugar
2 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla
1 T Hot water
1 ½ C Flour
1 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Salt
2 C Rolled oats
1 C Chopped pecans

Cream shortening and sugars. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Add hot water. Stir in flour, soda, and salt; and mix well. Add rolled oats and mix well. Stir in white chocolate and craisins. Drop with a one inch scoop about 1 ½ inches apart onto parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until cookies are light brown. Cookies will be soft when taken off pan. Yield: 4 dozen cookies.

I'll bet it's the contrast of the creamy white chocolate with the tart dried cranberries that truly makes the cookie. I'd eat those!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Jo Ann Henderson » Wed May 30, 2012 4:16 pm

When I think of chocolate, I am partial to the semi-sweet -- even in fudge. I find white chocolate a bit too sweet for my taste. The only way I like it is when a triple chocolate cookie is dipped in white chocolate. Like these...

Holiday Treats.jpg
Holiday Treats.jpg (161.76 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
Jo Ann Henderson
Mealtime Maven

Postby Frank Deis » Wed May 30, 2012 6:29 pm

Jenise wrote:
Carl Eppig wrote:This is one of our favorite cookie recipies right now; and can't see it with dark chocolate:

BEV’S OATMEAL COOKIES:

1 C Shortening
¾ C Brown sugar
¾ C White sugar
2 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla
1 T Hot water
1 ½ C Flour
1 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Salt
2 C Rolled oats
1 C Chopped pecans

I'll bet it's the contrast of the creamy white chocolate with the tart dried cranberries that truly makes the cookie. I'd eat those!

Oh, totally agree. Louise MAKES these cookies and everyone loves them including me!!
Frank Deis
Wine guru

Next

Return to The Forum Kitchen