Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

November IOTM: Parsnips

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: November IOTM: Parsnips

by Jenise » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:33 pm

Robert, those aren't sliced or grated into cakes, but served whole?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:39 pm

Jenise wrote:Robert, those aren't sliced or grated into cakes, but served whole?

Whoops! Sorry about that. The parsnips should be thinly sliced. I'll go back and edit.

That's what I get for trying to write when I am dog tired.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:35 am

Jenise, here's a self made recipe -- inspired by your IOTM -- that works beautifully:

Ingredients:

2 lbs parsnips, peeled, stringy cores removed, chopped
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1 1/2 cup water
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste

Technique:

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Peel and wash parsnips, make a cut off the top of the fat end of each parsnip, cut around the inner core, medium dice outer layer of sweeter root.

2. Melt the butter, coat the turnip dice, spread on roasting pan, and roast for 20 to 25 minutes, at 400°F, until lightly golden, turning the parsnips once half-way through the roasting.

3. Blend or process roasted turnips with the water, and pulse until puréed to the desired consistency. Add more water if necessary. Add nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.

This makes a great side dish -- I served it with roasted vegetables and grilled peppered tuna -- it will be a nice addition to any roasted vegetable dinner, and perhaps others.

Cook's Notes:

a. The roasting adds an interesting taste note -- we loved the additional richness.

b. Cutting the wide end is important; you need to get the tough stringy interior out of the dish. This will show you extent of the inner core. Often this core is stringy and woody, especially at the larger end of the parsnip. Cut the end off, set it up on end, cut vertically down, and take out the core -- I used a sharpened melon ball spoon -- although there are probably easier methods. [Worth whatever work it takes.]

Regards, Bob
Previous