Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Let's hear it for pomegranate

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Let's hear it for pomegranate

by Larry Greenly » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:27 pm

I love old age. I temporarily forgot the name of the fruit up there in the title from the beginning of the typing until a few squirts of WD-40 on the neurons finally opened the brain file drawers and produced: POMEGRANATE! Yaay!

I love pomegranates. Interesting and laborious fruits with beautiful, little jewels inside. I've made a good Middle Eastern chicken dish using pomegranate juice. And I've eaten lots of fresh pomegranates.

How do you like to use or cook with pomegranates?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Let's hear it for pomegranate

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:47 am

We got a really juicy one a couple of days ago. After Isabella and I ate up as many seeds as we wanted, I squeezed the juice out and saved it. Tonight I made a Chapala, using the pomegranite juice in place of lime juice. It made for a really tasty drink, with a very different flavor from the regular Chapala. Here's what I did:

1.5 oz tequila
1.5 oz orange juice
3/4 oz pomegranite juice
1/4 oz triple sec
splash grenadine

All shaken well and strained into an ice-filled glass.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:52 am

I am fortunate in that my best friend knows I LOVE pomegranates, so she or her husband will often appear at my door bearing gifts of them! They find them too labor-intensive and messy. Which, of course, are two of the reasons I love them.

When I was a little girl I always got one in my Christmas stocking. We lived in a tiny village in the Appalachians with no such thing anywhere in evidence. I really believed it must be S. Claus giving them to me! Years later I found out my mom's brother who lived in The Big City would buy them and ship them to her.

Er.... anyway, I tend to just eat them fresh.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:07 am

They find them too labor-intensive and messy. Which, of course, are two of the reasons I love them.

Ditto here, Cynthia. When I was a kid, a friend had a good tree of super-sized ones. Old shirts of her fathers (which were fun to wear anyway) were kept in a drawer near the back door of the kitchen for us to wear while we ate them. They still taste best in a man's shirt....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:47 am

Mario Batali has a shaved fennel w/ blood orange and pomegranate recipe that I love. The sweetness of the fennel balances nicely with the tart citrus and pom.

thinly slice a couple of heads of fennel
clean a couple of blood oranges
mix with a dressing of lemon juice, evoo, and salt
sprinkle with pom seeds
shave some pecorino on top, sprinkle with fennel frond