Let's hear it for pomegranate

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Let's hear it for pomegranate

Postby Larry Greenly » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:27 am

I love old age. I temporarily forgot the name of the fruit up there in the title from the beginning of the typing until a few squirts of WD-40 on the neurons finally opened the brain file drawers and produced: POMEGRANATE! Yaay!

I love pomegranates. Interesting and laborious fruits with beautiful, little jewels inside. I've made a good Middle Eastern chicken dish using pomegranate juice. And I've eaten lots of fresh pomegranates.

How do you like to use or cook with pomegranates?
Larry Greenly
Resident Chile Head

Re: Let's hear it for pomegranate

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:47 am

We got a really juicy one a couple of days ago. After Isabella and I ate up as many seeds as we wanted, I squeezed the juice out and saved it. Tonight I made a Chapala, using the pomegranite juice in place of lime juice. It made for a really tasty drink, with a very different flavor from the regular Chapala. Here's what I did:

1.5 oz tequila
1.5 oz orange juice
3/4 oz pomegranite juice
1/4 oz triple sec
splash grenadine

All shaken well and strained into an ice-filled glass.

Mike

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Postby Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:52 am

I am fortunate in that my best friend knows I LOVE pomegranates, so she or her husband will often appear at my door bearing gifts of them! They find them too labor-intensive and messy. Which, of course, are two of the reasons I love them.

When I was a little girl I always got one in my Christmas stocking. We lived in a tiny village in the Appalachians with no such thing anywhere in evidence. I really believed it must be S. Claus giving them to me! Years later I found out my mom's brother who lived in The Big City would buy them and ship them to her.

Er.... anyway, I tend to just eat them fresh.
Cynthia Wenslow
Pizza Princess

Postby Jenise » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:07 pm

They find them too labor-intensive and messy. Which, of course, are two of the reasons I love them.

Ditto here, Cynthia. When I was a kid, a friend had a good tree of super-sized ones. Old shirts of her fathers (which were fun to wear anyway) were kept in a drawer near the back door of the kitchen for us to wear while we ate them. They still taste best in a man's shirt....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:47 pm

Mario Batali has a shaved fennel w/ blood orange and pomegranate recipe that I love. The sweetness of the fennel balances nicely with the tart citrus and pom.

thinly slice a couple of heads of fennel
clean a couple of blood oranges
mix with a dressing of lemon juice, evoo, and salt
sprinkle with pom seeds
shave some pecorino on top, sprinkle with fennel frond
Bill Buitenhuys
Wine guru

Return to The Forum Kitchen