Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Another reprise for IOTM: Mike Wenzels Wild Mushroom/Stilton Galette

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Another reprise for IOTM: Mike Wenzels Wild Mushroom/Stilton Galette

by Jenise » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:23 pm

To die for....

Date: 23-Apr-2001 23:58
Author: Mike Wenzel (San Francisco) Email
Subject: RC: Wild Mushroom and Stilton Galette
View Parent message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RC: Mushroom and Stilton Galette

A few months ago I received as a gift a Williams-Sonoma cookbook entitled Autumn (apparently they were almost giving them away at a local bookstore). Not expecting much, I figured I would give some of the recipes that looked interesting a shot. The first one I tried was this one, and I was amazed with the result. I made this as an appetizer however we all loved it so much we just about finished it. The finished dish was truly addictive.

This is one of the few things I have ever made that looked exactly the same as the picture in the book. It really made quite an impression when served. This recipe is by Joanne Weir, the book’s author.

Pastry Ingredients:
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
½ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup sour cream
2 teaspoons lemon juice
¼ cup ice water
a few pinches of salt

Filling Ingredients
¼ oz or more dried wild mushrooms
2 tablespoons butter
¾ cup sliced green onions
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
½ pound fresh wild mushrooms sliced thin
½ pound button mushrooms sliced thin
5 oz Stilton or other blue cheese

Combine flour and salt in bowl. In separate bowl whisk sour cream, lemon juice and water. Cut butter into pieces and then cut butter into flour until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add ½ of the sour cream mixture and mix until large lumps form. Move lumps to the side and add remaining sour cream mixture until more lumps form. Pat lumps into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for an hour.

Rehydrate dried mushrooms in hot water. Drain mushrooms (save liquid for another use). Melt butter over medium heat, add green onions and saute until soft. Add garlic, rosemary, thyme and continue to cook for another minute or so. Raise heat to high and add the fresh and rehydrated mushrooms and saute until mushrooms are tender and their liquid has evaporated. Remove mushrooms and let cool.

Roll out the dough into a 12 inch round. Transfer to ungreased baking sheet. Crumble the blue cheese into a bowl, add the cooled mushrooms and mix well. Spread the mixture over the dough, leaving a 1 inch border. Fold the border over the mushrooms and cheese in sections, pleating the edges to make it fit. You will make about six to eight total folds. The center of the galette will be open.

Bake in a 400 degree over from approximately 30 to 40 minutes. Serve warm.

A few changes I made. I had no fresh wild mushrooms so used a combination of cremini and white button as the fresh, and upped the amount of dried wild mushrooms used. In addition I liberally salted and peppered the mushrooms while cooking. Finally, I did not use Stilton, and substituted with a Danish Blue. Even with these changes, the results were excellent. This would be a wonderful vegetarian main course. If you like mushrooms and blue cheese, I highly recommend it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

tsunami

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:59 am

Re: Another reprise for IOTM: Mike Wenzels Wild Mushroom/Stilton Galette

by tsunami » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:42 am

i like this recepie!

i would like to try it.

thanks.
Tsunami alias Albino