Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Angst or under your radar?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Angst or under your radar?

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:06 am

Gary Barlettano wrote:in about 75% of the cases it's easy to sort out by looking at the packaging. Is the bag made of the same film? Does a box or bottle have the same shape and closure?

Like I said, the "365" olive oil bottle looks a LOT like Colavita. ;)
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:11 am

Carrie L. wrote:The recipe I use is in my college alma mater's alumni cookbook back in CA.

Thanks, Carrie! I think I'll make these for Thanksgiving ... maybe use ground turkey! :)
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:16 am

Sorry, Gary, I keep making the mistake of clicking on the reply button below the message instead of beside it. I posted the recipe in another message below. Just wanted to be sure you saw it.

Ahh, you found it apparently. Just saw your reply.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:01 am

Up until my last grocery store visit, I was exclusively using Colavita at about 50% more $$ than many other brands of EVOO. Then I noticed that the Harris Teeter storebrand bottle was identical in shape and size, so I tried it. I have a feeling it's also Colavita masquerading as the store brand. Wish I would have kept a few drops of the Colavita so I could compare and be certain.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:04 am

Carrie L. wrote:Sorry, Gary, I keep making the mistake of clicking on the reply button below the message instead of beside it. I posted the recipe in another message below. Just wanted to be sure you saw it.

Ahh, you found it apparently. Just saw your reply.

Thank you. Yes, I did. By the way, I agree with you 100% about browning the meatballs. In fact, I always fry mine. (For this recipe I might just bake them.) Ordinarily, I fry them thoroughly when they are not going into the gravy a.k.a. tomato sauce. When they are going into the pot, I leave them very pink inside. And the breadcrumbs are up my alley as well, although I tend to use softened, stale bread as I find breadcrumbs densify meatsballs (can make them golf-ball-like) whereas white, gushy bread makes them soft and moist on the inside. The only downside for some is that there are occasional nodules of bread in the meatball. I kinda like 'em though.
Previous