Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Mojo sauce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Mojo sauce

by Bob Henrick » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:15 am

I am in need of a recipe for mojo sauce. I have searched on Google and like so many other foods there are as many recipe's as there are peoples who use the food in question. One recipe I found calls for 2 whole red peppers, yet it doesn't say if these peppers are sweet or hot. So, maybe that is my biggest quandary. I suppose I could just experiment and see which I like better, but I am certain my wife would not eat it if the peppers are of the chile variety. TIA.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

Re: Mojo sauce

by ChefCarey » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:11 am

Bob Henrick wrote:I am in need of a recipe for mojo sauce. I have searched on Google and like so many other foods there are as many recipe's as there are peoples who use the food in question. One recipe I found calls for 2 whole red peppers, yet it doesn't say if these peppers are sweet or hot. So, maybe that is my biggest quandary. I suppose I could just experiment and see which I like better, but I am certain my wife would not eat it if the peppers are of the chile variety. TIA.[/code]

*All* peppers are of the "chile" variety. Just another word for "pepper."
However, I get your drift. Not hot is what you want. Most of these recipes are calling for the not hot variety. You can always add a little heat by throwing in a jalapeno or serrano or two.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:32 am

Thanks Chef, this is about what I thought, but since I can pick the brains here I thought I would take advantage of it just to be sure. I suppose one could use something like poblano peppers or even sweet red peppers adding a jalapéno or two, which would not add too much heat, even for my wife. BTW, do you have a favorite recipe for mojo that you would care to share? Thanks again.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:57 am

Bob Henrick wrote:I am in need of a recipe for mojo sauce.

Bob, I'm a little puzzled here ... we love Cuban food and eat a fair amount of it, both at Louisville's excellent Havana Rumba and in South Florida (especially Key West's excellent El Sibouney, and I don't recall any mojo with peppers in it, hot or mild. It's usually all about citrus juices and garlic, lots and lots of garlic.

I haven't tried this, but if it were me, I'd Google up "cuban mojo sauce recipe" and triage your findings based on their use of orange/lemon/lime juices and garlic.

Or call Fernando at Havana Rumba, (502) 897-1959 and see if he'll give it up.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:44 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:I am in need of a recipe for mojo sauce.

Bob, I'm a little puzzled here ... we love Cuban food and eat a fair amount of it, both at Louisville's excellent Havana Rumba and in South Florida (especially Key West's excellent El Sibouney, and I don't recall any mojo with peppers in it, hot or mild. It's usually all about citrus juices and garlic, lots and lots of garlic.

I haven't tried this, but if it were me, I'd Google up "cuban mojo sauce recipe" and triage your findings based on their use of orange/lemon/lime juices and garlic.

Or call Fernando at Havana Rumba, (502) 897-1959 and see if he'll give it up.

Mojo (sauce)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Mojo (pronounced 'mO-"hO) is the name, or abbreviated name, of several types of hot sauce that originated in the Canary Islands. It is predominantly either a red (most common), green or orange sauce.

The basic recipe consists of olive oil, large amounts of garlic, paprika or chili powder, and cumin. Flavourings such as Vinegar, lemon, orange or lime juice may be added. The most typical use of this hot sauce seems to be papas arrugadas con salsa mojo, or potatoes with mojo. Mojo is also commonly served with fresh bread rolls at the beginning of a meal. Similar sauces, also known as mojo, are also popular in Cuba and throughout the Caribbean. The flavor can be made of almost everything, from tomato or pepper to avocado.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:23 pm

Ah Mojo....
One of the few things I miss about living in Florida.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:46 pm

Carrie! You've been away too long. Good to see your name again.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:04 am

Thanks! It's been one heck of a busy summer. The only thing I had the chance to do on the computer was work! Uhg.

It is great to be back, though it took me a little detective work to find you guys once I was ready! May want to consider having the old, old, FLDG page link people here vs. netscape? Maybe you've already covered that...

Now that I'm back with all the familiar names and personalities, it feels like I was never out of the loop. So nice!