PORTO newbie -- needs food/snack match --- HELP!! [Part 2]

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

PORTO newbie -- needs food/snack match --- HELP!! [Part 2]

Postby AaronW » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:54 pm

Got a bottle of Fonseca Bin No. 27 Port (from Portugal), a blend of old and new wines so it's obviously non-vintage. I haven't opened it yet because i want to make sure i have a good variety of possible food matches readily available so i can maximize my port-experience. A friend of mine suggested pecans as a nibbler match for the port. What are the classic matches for Port, and are there any new ones recently discovered. Please help, thanx!

Stay tuned, Tawny match requests are next!

Hey Forumites!!,
Just purchased a "Warre's 10 Year Old Tawny". I would absolutely love it if you guys could help me understand what to expect with this stuff, flavor-profile-wise, and what to match with it as well-- Pleeeeese!! Thanks a bunch!
Last edited by AaronW on Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AaronW
Ultra geek

Re: PORTO newbie -- needs food/snack match --- HELP!!

Postby Bob Ross » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:58 pm

Bitter chocolate is classic and delicious; don't use milk or sweet chocolate. Contrast works wonderfully here.

Regards, Bob
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Postby AaronW » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:59 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Bitter chocolate is classic and delicious; don't use milk or sweet chocolate. Contrast works wonderfully here.

Regards, Bob

Thanks, Bob!
AaronW
Ultra geek

Postby Bob Ross » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:05 am

I had this combo Sunday morning at a tasting with Andrea Robinson -- it was fantastic, and a fantastic ending to a great seminar. Enjoy.
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:25 pm

Plain nuts like pecans, hazelnuts or walnuts with blue cheese on the side is classic, Aaron, as is the chocolate Bob reccomends. My personal favorite food for port, though? Chocolate chip walnut cookies. Puts in the nuts and the chocolates, but it's given another dimension with the sugar and salt of the cookie dough. Absolute heaven.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby James Roscoe » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:29 pm

Just sip the stuff! Or drink it. Prto is great all by itself, although I would never turn down the dark chocolate or a ripe blue cheese.
.....we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. A. Lincoln
James Roscoe
Chat Prince

Postby AaronW » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:32 pm

Jenise wrote:Plain nuts like pecans, hazelnuts or walnuts with blue cheese on the side is classic, Aaron, as is the chocolate Bob reccomends. My personal favorite food for port, though? Chocolate chip walnut cookies. Puts in the nuts and the chocolates, but it's given another dimension with the sugar and salt of the cookie dough. Absolute heaven.

That's an awesome recommendation Jenise!
I'll give it a go, Thanks!

Anyone heard of a "mocha" related match for Port?
AaronW
Ultra geek

Postby Randy Buckner » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:55 am

Matches for Port vary by the style of the Port (White, Ruby, Tawny, Crusted, LBV, Single Quinta, Colheita, Vintage Character and Vintage Port).

Bin 27 is a premium Ruby Port. Classic matches for Ruby Port are dark chocolate desserts, full flavored cheeses such as mature cheddar or Pont L’Eveque (the oldest Norman cheese still in production today), and a fine cigar. Enjoy.
Randy Buckner
Wine guru

Postby Jenise » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:13 pm

AaronW. wrote:
Jenise wrote:Plain nuts like pecans, hazelnuts or walnuts with blue cheese on the side is classic, Aaron, as is the chocolate Bob reccomends. My personal favorite food for port, though? Chocolate chip walnut cookies. Puts in the nuts and the chocolates, but it's given another dimension with the sugar and salt of the cookie dough. Absolute heaven.

Aaron, just be sure not to skimp on quality here. Go to Mrs. Fields if you don't bake 'em yourself--no Chips Ahoy!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby AaronW » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:15 pm

Jenise wrote:
AaronW. wrote:

Aaron, just be sure not to skimp on quality here. Go to Mrs. Fields if you don't bake 'em yourself--no Chips Ahoy!

What, no Chips Ahoy!!?? They're my favorite!

Just kidding. Those things are abominable.

Hey I tried your suggestion the other night, but I used pecans instead because that's what I had. However, it was a tremendous experience, but I'm going to have to do it again and try it the walnut-way. Thanks again.
AaronW
Ultra geek

Return to The Forum Kitchen