Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: What's cooking?

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Last night, I made a ginger-marinated pork tenderloin for my wife and me. Tonight, our daughter's making roasted cod with fennel and olives. I'll add porcini risotto and we'll also have roasted asparagus.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:01 pm

No idea what we're having tonight. I have artichokes to stuff (but they can wait for another day), and some chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) I thawed out last night but didn't use. My recent Italian fetish/streak has not dissipated, but only been fueled by Friday night's Sicilian wine tasting. I'm dying to drink more of them, so those chicken breasts are suddenly becoming some kind of a cutlet in my head, breaded and pan-fried with some kind of a herb or tomato sauce.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:01 pm

Jenise, how about pounded, stuffed with a bit of grated Romano and Parm, lots of chopped parsley, a bit of pancetta, garlic, rosemary, +/- a few pine nuts then rolled, tied and THEN browned and pan deglazed with a bit of tomato sauce...just saying..
these are great hot or cold, sliced in rounds on a bed of arugula with a few capers, olive oil and squirt of lemon juice...
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Heinz Bobek

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

Munich Germany

by Heinz Bobek » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Heinz, do you buy "dry packed" scallops? I can never seem to get a really nice golden sear on my scallops like you have. I just had scallops two days ago, and they are so loaded up with a phosphate solution and water, that I have to spend a lot of time patting them with paper towels to absorb all the water they release. They were tasty and very large, but I could not get that good sear without cooking them to death. I've asked about getting dry packed and have been told, "oh yes. we can get them but they are very pricey." So, I wonder, well if I am getting scallops with 30% water in them, what kind of a deal am I really getting!

I usually use fresh scallops directly out of the shell. Frozen goods when thawed I'll place them a long time on paper towels so that the moisture will be minimized and they are at least at ambient temperature. When frying the scallops, it is important to use an uncoated pan. The pan must be very hot when adding the scallops. You can check the required temperature with water drops. Pour a little water into the hot pan and when the water forms a drop which will not evaporate then the pan is hot enough to get a golden sear on the scallops. (See film)
Pantemp.m4v
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:54 am

Christina Georgina wrote:Jenise, how about pounded, stuffed with a bit of grated Romano and Parm, lots of chopped parsley, a bit of pancetta, garlic, rosemary, +/- a few pine nuts then rolled, tied and THEN browned and pan deglazed with a bit of tomato sauce...just saying..
these are great hot or cold, sliced in rounds on a bed of arugula with a few capers, olive oil and squirt of lemon juice...

Delicious idea! Followed your instructions exactly, had all that on hand except pine nuts (though I usually have those, used hazelnuts instead). Wonderful! Thanks.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Thai red curry with five-spice tofu from Roots Heart & Soy with snow peas, onions, ginger and garlic, coconut milk and mild Thai spice.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:25 am

We barbecued a few chicken thighs last night that got a quick, off-the-hip marinade from bergamot oil, maple syrup, oregano and a little white wine for the acid component. I bought the bottle of bergamot oil over a year ago and have barely used it (thought I'd end up using it with fish, but fresh fish is so hard to get here, we rarely have it). I knew the combination would be at least passable, but it was more than that. I could marinate all chicken in that combination of ingredients for the rest of my life--really outstanding.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:53 am

Jenise wrote:...(thought I'd end up using it with fish, but fresh fish is so hard to get here, we rarely have it)...
You don't have fishing poles? :o
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
Jenise wrote:...(thought I'd end up using it with fish, but fresh fish is so hard to get here, we rarely have it)...
You don't have fishing poles? :o

We do! But nothing to fish. A run of silver salmon comes virtually right up to the house most years, but last summer it did not materialize. And the seals who used to hang out on some nearby rocks have left too; the food supply's not enough to sustain them. :cry:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:53 pm

Testing testing testing. We didn't have anything but freshly made guacamole tonight, and I didn't take a picture of it; but I want to see if this thread is full.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:35 pm

Made fresh pesto tonight. Not as good as with basil from the farm, but not bad at all.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:43 am

Last night's dinner was grilled Sai Oua (Northern Thai pork sausage).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Last night, we started with a salad of shaved asparagus with avocado, lime juice, mint. It was billed as going well with champagne and it did, although I think it was a little one-dimensional as salads go. For the main, I did a sirloin roast. Or over-did it, I should say. It cooked up more quickly than I expected and ended up medium rather than on the rare side of medium-rare, which is what I was looking for. Fortunately, it was a good piece of meat and remained fairly tender and flavorful despite the gaffe. Sides were mashed potatoes with green garlic; roasted carrots with walnuts, raisins, and lemon juice; and a mashed root vegetable dish that my daughter added at the last minute. Dessert was strawberries with a light yogurt-cream sauce.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:04 pm

This thread is getting very large at 120 pages, and some people have started reporting buggy browser issues, so we're going to lock 'er down and pick up right where we left off on a NEW "What's cooking?"

Keep those good food reports coming, but let's do them over here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47659
Previous