Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's cooking?

by Jenise » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:53 pm

Frank, does he really prefer the frozen okra, or is that just a way to make sure people don't complain so much about hard to find ingredients.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:55 pm

We're having lamb osso buco with a 98 Ogier Cote Rotie. I'm so excited about the wine that I haven't really figured out the rest of the meal yet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:06 pm

Jenise wrote:We're having lamb osso buco with a 98 Ogier Cote Rotie. I'm so excited about the wine that I haven't really figured out the rest of the meal yet.

I'm salivating at the thought of lamb osso buco....tell us how it turned out, Jenise.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:25 pm

Jenise wrote:Frank, does he really prefer the frozen okra, or is that just a way to make sure people don't complain so much about hard to find ingredients.

Ottolenghi wrote:Here's a secret I pick up from the freezer of a Lebanese market in London: tiny Egyptian okra, perfectly firm, packed with flavor. Almost as important, it comes already trimmed.

I don't know his intentions, and I don't know whether the ones I found are trimmed. But I do know that nearly every middle eastern okra recipe that I read, insists that you try to find really small ones. I've been very happy with the ones I have been finding in the local Korean produce store (pictured) but I have a feeling the Greek frozen ones will be even better. I couldn't even recognize the picture on the package but when I read the Greek label "Bamies" μπαμιες I realized what it was...
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:55 am

Last night's dinner was Ken's Hunan Lamb. It was delicious.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:37 pm

Just back from 4 weeks of cooking in Venice and Florence. Rented apartments next to Mercato Centrale in Florence and 2 ferry stops from the fish market in Venice. Having serious withdrawl issues now .....Fish every day in Venice was a dream come true. Had to make lists and go home and look up the many options, all of which were impeccably fresh and wonderful looking.
Inspired to make Colomba Pasqua- the traditional Italian Easter bread in the shape of a dove as we had that one evening and an erbazzone - a savory torte made with a double crust, rapini, pancetta, Parm, eggs.
Had Pizza ceccini in Pisa. Unknown to me but made to "take away" at a place with a wood fired oven that's been there for forever. Thin crust pizza with tomato and cheese but with a chic pea flour crepe also cooked in a wood fired oven on top. All folded in half and then wrapped in a waxed paper cone. Needless to say, sufficient chic pea flour in the suitcase....
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:05 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mike Bowlin wrote:Baking day. This is olive/muffaletta bread just out of the oven. Sourdough next.
IMG_2002.jpg

So you bake on a regular basis? Those loaves look great. What else goes in besides olives?

I don't buy bread. Never have. I bake breads, muffins, flatbreads et al. Regular basis... I guess so. When I run low I bake again.
Here are the basic ingredients for two loaves:
2 teaspoon dry yeast
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon dry malt powder
3/4 cup warm water
Proof
Bowl:
4 cups bread flour
1/2 cup raw wheat germ
1 teaspoon kosher salt
combine.
To flour add:
3 tablespoons evoo
1/3 cup of olive marination juice (Mezzetta Antipasto is the best tasting, not too much vinegar or salt)
4 ounces of olive muffaletta (recipe follows)
6 1/4 ounces of black chunky olive tapenade (many recipes, your choice, but should be chunky not puree)
Add wet to dry along with +- 1/2 cup warm water to form fairly wet dough ( I use bread forms so I can keep the loaves moist) Knead 5 minutes by hand.
Rise overnight in oiled bread bucket in refer. Form two long loaves place in bread pans allow to rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours covered.
Slash tops, spritz oven and loaves with water. Preheat 475. Bake (my oven is HOT [DCS unit]) 425 convection 12 minutes, turn pans 180, 12 minutes more.
Spritz the oven twice in first five minutes barely cracking the oven door.
The muffaletta is peeled, sliced, diced baked eggplant slices ( 4 or 5 1/4 inch slices), minced roasted red peppers(3), capers(1/8 cup), minced small amount of cauliflower, onion and carrot pickled(1/3 cup), roasted garlic to taste minced, green olives and kalamata to taste(sliced). Pinch of oregano, basil and marjoram. and evoo.
Tassos makes a near perfect blend called Mediterranean Salad but no eggplant. So you need to have the addition of chunky roasted eggplant to be complete.

With a good Italian red wine and semi hard cheese this loaf is a meal. Enjoy !
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Thanks for that recipe, Mike - sounds delicious!

For our Easter supper yesterday, I made Easter pies (RCP is posted) that turned out well. We also served glazed carrots but had to abort the tomato/burrata salad when the burrata turned out to be old and sour. :evil: Friends brought an onion tart, a cardamom egg bread, and peas with asparagus and pepper bacon. For dessert, my wife made the traditional sunken chocolate cake with malt ball Easter eggs on top.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:43 pm

Tonights dinner.
Olive bread, white cheese with black truffles, sweet grapes and Rosenblum Carla's Reserve 2006 Zinfandel.
photo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Tonight's dinner was Gai Kaeng Massaman:--Thai Massaman (Muslim) curry with chicken, bamboo shoots, red bell pepper, cauliflower, broccoli, and green peppercorns, served with jasmine rice. YUM!!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:27 pm

Mike Bowlin wrote:Tonights dinner.
Olive bread, white cheese with black truffles, sweet grapes and Rosenblum Carla's Reserve 2006 Zinfandel

Mike,

Who could ask for more? Magnificent!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:52 am

Made potato/leek/white bean soup for tonight's supper. We had it with leftover Pizza Pasqua (I like that name way better than "Easter Pie", and a couple of other leftover items from last night.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:54 am

Broccoli with garlic, onions, red lentils and Indian spice.

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:58 am

Southwest Chalupa, with black beans and roasted corn kernels, bell peppers, garlic, and Hatch chilies, chipotle and cumin, on top of a thick and crisped corn tortilla, topped with tomatoes, lettuce and Mexican salsa. Fresh lime wedges on the side
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:16 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:
Olive bread, white cheese with black truffles, sweet grapes and Rosenblum Carla's Reserve 2006 Zinfandel

Mike,

Who could ask for more?

Maybe some vegetables?
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:36 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Paul Winalski wrote:

Mike,

Who could ask for more?

Maybe some vegetables?

The vegetables are in the cheese that the goat, sheep, cow ate prior to milking....how was the Carla's reserve?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Cornish Game Hens (we split one)
Tri-colored Penne with home made Arrabbiata Sauce (from my freezer using those wonderful fresh summer tomatoes)
Spring asparagus that I will toss in with the hens the last 10 minutes of roasting so they can mix with the wonderful juices from the marinade and hens.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:28 pm

Khumbh Palak, Indian-style spicy spinach and mushroom curry.

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:58 pm

Speaking of spinach, I made a lovely spinach risotto earlier this week. Pureed spinach was deep yet bright green. Delicious.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:42 pm

Made Chicken with Caramelized Onion and Cardamom Rice, from an Ottolenghi/Tamimi recipe. As they say in the cookbook, this is comfort food. The chicken and rice cook together with cinnamon, cloves, cardomom, currants, and the onions. Very nice stuff with a bit of an exotic character from the spices. Also relatively quick and easy, so it's a good weekday dish.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:23 pm

I found this recipe on-line Mike, very interesting dish. We actually have several of the barberry plants on our property. Fabulous shrub that is dark burgundy and the berries are said to be edible but very sour. It is curious that a currant would be a substitute. I have never harvested any of the berries (the birds do) because of the large thorns. Anyway, I have printed this recipe and will try soon.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I found this recipe on-line Mike, very interesting dish. We actually have several of the barberry plants on our property. Fabulous shrub that is dark burgundy and the berries are said to be edible but very sour. It is curious that a currant would be a substitute. I have never harvested any of the berries (the birds do) because of the large thorns. Anyway, I have printed this recipe and will try soon.

Thanks for that, Karen. I've never seen barberries and have no idea if they'd be available at the ethnic groceries around here. In Jerusalem, they say that barberries they use are from Iran and that they have a sweet-and-sour character, adding sharpness that accentuates other flavors in a dish. In one of the other recipes, they suggest soaking currants in lemon juice as a substitute. I didn't read that one before making the chicken dish last night, so that might have been more true to the barberry flavor.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:55 pm

Teriyaki chik’n, onion and green pepper stir-fry.

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:05 pm

If you can find a Persian grocery, barberries are Zereshk. I can find dried barberries easily.

http://www.kalamala.com/products/barber ... k-1lb-sara
PreviousNext