Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: What's cooking?

by Carrie L. » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:20 am

That is a great looking stew Robin! What gives the base the golden cast? Saffron? Paprika? Tomato?
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:35 am

Carrie L. wrote:That is a great looking stew Robin! What gives the base the golden cast? Saffron? Paprika? Tomato?

I think it may just be his camera/phone. :wink:
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Redwinger wrote:I think it may just be his camera/phone. :wink:

I think it probably IS a photo white balance issue, at least in part, although there are a lot of tomatoes in it, and a lot of Maillard reaction going on.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Autumn stew, warming and hearty, with warm potato rolls and Sierra Nevada "Tumbler" autumn ale. 

So you drink Sierra Nevada beer? The brewery is 80 minutes from here in Chico, CA, a uninversity town that we visit often. Love having lunch at their brewery. The autumn ales are good for cooking too.
Last edited by Karen/NoCA on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:52 pm

Tonight it's braised short ribs, in a nice braising sauce which has chipotle peppers, Hatch chiles, tomatoes, onion, garlic, fresh lime juice, as the predominant flavors. Serving it with a mix of sweet poatoes and delicata squash mashed with butter. I bought some baby turnips today, that are white, pink, and red, so sweet and milder than a radish. We are having the green leaves from the turnips, steamed and tossed with garlic and a little olive oil, as our vegetable. I'm slicing the baby turnips, and tossing them in, raw before serving, and giving the dish a sprinkle of orange muscat vinegar.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:30 pm

It was surprising to me that the baby turnip leaves had such a tough stem. I cut the larger ones off, but left the teeny stems on the very small leaves. Cooked the greens until they turned that brilliant green. The greens were very good, the stems, woody. I love the baby turnips, mild and sweet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:06 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Autumn stew, warming and hearty, with warm potato rolls and Sierra Nevada "Tumbler" autumn ale. 

So you drink Sierra Nevada beer? The brewery is 80 minutes from here in Chico, CA, a uninversity town that we visit often. Love having lunch at their brewery. The autumn ales are good for cooking too.

I like to go with local microbreweries when we're going with the beer option, Karen, but Sierra Nevada earns respect because it was among the first really good American beers of the late 20th century beer renaissance. It must be a fairly big company now, since they have national distribution, but it's still a good beer in my opinion, and when I see a new seasonal model out, I like to try it.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:04 pm

LOL, it is a local beer Robin, our local anyway, and it is an awesome company. In their parking lot, they installed a shade structure which is also solar panels. They move as the sun moves. It used to be public parking, but last time I was there, it is for employees and service trucks. Next door are their hops fields, which are very impressive. They have a huge recycling program, and waste water treatment process, as well. They have all sorts of events, entertainment, and tours are given to groups. The restaurant is always busy no matter what day of the week we go.
We picked up the Tumbler Brown Autumn Ale recently. Wikipedia has a nice write-up on them if you would like to learn more about the brewery.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:57 pm

Friends are coming over to taste through 12 wines from which we'll select the six to serve at our neighborhood wine club event next weekend. I'll serve the wine in four flights with the gorgonzola-hazelnut topped broiled figs I posted about a week ago, roasted tomatoes with rustic toast, chicken with porcini mushrooms on black truffle polenta, an herb and butter lettuce salad, and a free form apple tart.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:18 pm

A beautiful small plates menu Jenise. I'm curious about the sequence of dishes ?
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:26 pm

NJ baked up a great looking batch of bagels using a new recipe. Unfortunately, they lacked CHEW.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:15 pm

Redwinger wrote:NJ baked up a great looking batch of bagels using a new recipe. Unfortunately, they lacked CHEW.

Bitch, Bitch, Bitch!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:44 pm

I was at an Asian market yesterday and noticed that they had pork cheeks available (for all of $1.40/lb.). They looked rather like pork belly, so I bought a pack, thinking that I'd do something similar to crispy pork belly. When I checked recipes, they all recommended braising, so I changed my tack and made a ragu from the cheeks, some canned tomatoes, red wine, carrot, onion, garlic, tomato paste, and chicken broth. It cooked for a good four hours during football time yesterday and will be ready for the pappardelle tonight. It made the house smell great yesterday.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:47 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Redwinger wrote:NJ baked up a great looking batch of bagels using a new recipe. Unfortunately, they lacked CHEW.

Bitch, Bitch, Bitch!

Nah, she's OK. :wink:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:24 pm

Grilled ground turkey burgers, with a huge slice of beefsteak tomato, caramelized onions, and my pickled sweet banana peppers. Oven fries with home made spicy ketchup.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:08 pm

Redwinger wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:

Bitch, Bitch, Bitch!

Nah, she's OK. :wink:

That didn't refer to NJ Winger. Other than her choice in husbands, I think she is Grand Lady!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:22 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I was at an Asian market yesterday and noticed that they had pork cheeks available (for all of $1.40/lb.). They looked rather like pork belly, so I bought a pack, thinking that I'd do something similar to crispy pork belly. When I checked recipes, they all recommended braising, so I changed my tack and made a ragu from the cheeks, some canned tomatoes, red wine, carrot, onion, garlic, tomato paste, and chicken broth. It cooked for a good four hours during football time yesterday and will be ready for the pappardelle tonight. It made the house smell great yesterday.

I'll bet! An Italian red sauce is one of THE great aromas, in my book. Possibly the only equals for me are roast turkey and the morning combo of frying bacon and brewing coffee.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:38 pm

Tonight I will be making Khao Soi (Thai Chiangmai Noodles).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:31 pm

I have a picture of those on my cel phone!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:30 pm

Tonight we had our cow free pizza, and washed down with an '09 Torremoron, Ribera del Duero. Also enjoy a Cortland apple cobbler for dessert.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:20 pm

A bone-in whole turkey breast, stuffed with leeks, red onions, lemons, rosemary, thyme, garlic, grilled.
Asparagus, drizzled with toasted sesame oil - oven roasted, and a new crop of potatoes, cooked, then smashed, topped with a little butter, chives, and red scallions. The turkey breast will be recycled into enchiladas, an Israeli couscous cold salad, sandwiches, and a home made chicken noodle soup. The carcass goes into a pot with chicken backs, necks I have been saving for stock.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:45 pm

We're going to a Yacht Club event tonight so I'm not cooking, but lunch was soup and salad: a chunk chicken-tomato bisque with a fresh mushroom, chervil and frisee salad.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Jenise wrote:We're going to a Yacht Club event tonight so I'm not cooking, but lunch was soup and salad: a chunk chicken-tomato bisque with a fresh mushroom, chervil and frisee salad.

Your lunch sounds so yummy Jenise and a reminder to me to get my winter chervil into the soil. I planted it last year, but Gene thought is was a weed and yanked it! :(
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:25 am

Last night was tenderloin steak in rasher grilled over charcoal and mesquite, a half broule, and salad from our garden. Washed it down with McManis Pinot Noir ('09). Finished with other half of apple cobbler.
PreviousNext