Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: What's cooking?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:You are correct in your thinking Robin, I know what fingerlings are, but had never heard of potatoes in Cacciatore.

I was thinking that too, but then... :oops:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:53 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:You are correct in your thinking Robin, I know what fingerlings are, but had never heard of potatoes in Cacciatore.

I was thinking that too, but then... :oops:

No, it was kind of you to jump in, Cynthia. That was an obvious interpretation, and I should have thought of it too, rather than ASSuming I knew what they meant. Of course, the fact that I guessed right makes it look better. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:49 pm

We'll be having a Georgian pork stew for supper tonight along with some kind of starch (not sure which yet) and roasted brussels sprouts. I made the stew yesterday. It's flavored with fenugreek, coriander seed, cilantro, and summer savory and is served with a condiment that consists of red bell pepper, garlic, jalapenos, and more of the above spices. It tasted awfully good when I finished it last night, so I'm looking forward to a bowl of it tonight.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:44 pm

Hm, a plague of purists! :wink:

It is true that potatoes are not traditional. I added them because (a) I wanted to make it a little heftier, in case I did not have pasta handy, (b) as I could not use onions, and adding that much shallots won't do, I wanted to add something, and (c) boy, were they cute!

I followed the recipe in "Chef on Fire" making only a few mods: it calls for clarified butter but doesn't use it, and I needed a lot more tomato paste + flour to get the sauce as thick as I wanted it. ((Is that a sufficient posting or should I scribe the actual text?))
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:51 am

I have the book so I'll check it out....thanks. I also know what fingerlings are but never saw them added to the dish, but hey, that's where great recipe's come from!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:25 am

Ah, one more thing... the recipe says to simmer for 25 minutes but I wanted to be sure the little taters were cooked (they're waxy and I don't want to leave the impression that they're under-done) so I simmered for an hour.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:23 pm

I'm cooking for my dying friend tonight, in a roundabout way. Tonight's our regular wine tasting night, and when John realized that the end was near he asked if we would meet at his house and allow him to pour all the wines from a bunch of stuff he'd been saving to taste someday (he's in retail, gets a lot of samples). But over the last few days everything's gone to hell pretty quickly with lots of complications, and he's in hospital today. So to honor him we're having the tasting at my house tonight, and we're going to open all 28 bottles he gave us. I've prepared a huge pot of pork meatballs, a cauliflower and artichoke panzanella, a whole side of roasted salmon with a green olive persilade for a sauce, and a cheese plate. I also made another batch of cabbage rolls so that I have something to send over to John's wife later in the week to help feed the inevitable weekend visitors. The ground pork for the meatballs and the cabbage rolls all came from the trimmings from the eight rolled pork roasts I made for the Yacht Club dinner a few weeks ago. Thank god for my Kitchen Aid!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:14 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm cooking for my dying friend tonight, in a roundabout way.

It's all so unbearably sad, Jenise.

You remind me so much of a section I've seen quoted from "Eat, Pray, Love" (which I haven't read or seen the movie version of) where the author is talking about a family where the mother and daughter both have cancer. She basically says, "That's a family in need of Grace." Her sister replies, "No, that's a family in need of casseroles!"

Practical, heart-felt help is always appreciated.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:11 pm

NJ's riff on "Holiday Biscotti":
biscotti 018.JPG

biscotti 021.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:44 pm

I could eat those! :D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:36 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I could eat those! :D

Save some for me!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:38 pm

Shall we stir-fry broccoli crisp and green, or cook it down to something more comforting? No question, on a cold winter night like this. Chopped broccoli and wheat noodles in a spicy Southeast Asian coconut-peanut sauce with garlic and ginger. 

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:55 pm

Okaaaayyy, Robin. I'm inspired. Think I'll go make myself that pasta with tuna, capers and olive dish I've been craving. Yum!!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:16 pm

veg hot and sour.jpg

Vegetarian Hot & Sour Soup

veg fried rice.jpg

Vegetarian Fried Rice

Robin, I could eat that!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:35 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Shall we stir-fry broccoli crisp and green, or cook it down to something more comforting? No question, on a cold winter night like this. Chopped broccoli and wheat noodles in a spicy Southeast Asian coconut-peanut sauce with garlic and ginger. 

Great idea, Robin; that looks AMAZING. And put me down for liking broccoli in all it's forms: raw, slightly cooked and beyond. In the 'beyond' state, it takes on a well-developed sweetness worth exploring.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:37 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
veg hot and sour.jpg

Vegetarian Hot & Sour Soup

veg fried rice.jpg

Vegetarian Fried Rice

I'd never miss the meat eating food like that!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:59 pm

It's been an unusual week, I haven't cooked dinner one night this past week for just Bob and I, so I'm really looking forward to tonight when, it turns out, we'll be home after all. Early in the week it did not seem it would be so and I had to cancel a dinner party 24 hours after inviting a bunch of people--it wasn't clear until this morning that we'd be free. So I'm going to open one of those proscuittos and do a whole menu with it--it's time. I can stand waiting no longer. One of the ideas I had while driving home from Vancouver yesterday, pondering how to incorporate proscuitto into a terrine, was to do a riff on the Burgundian ham and parsley terrine, wherein the hunks of cooked ham are instead chunks of snow-white cooked-and-peeled red potatoes suspended in a wine flavored gelatine thick with proscuitto both ground and cut into ribbons plus the neccessary herbs. Slices of that would be served on a chiffonade of green leaf lettuce and a shallot dressing poured over all. Another course will be a lasagna, another idea I've had rolling around in my head wherein chicken replaces the red meat. This is the kind of cooking I love doing the most, right out of my imagination.

Oh, and Bob asked for an apple pie. Thinking about how to make that Italian, another wild idea I'm considering is putting all those flavors into a parfait in which layers of sauteed apples, crumbled polenta (maybe with rosemary) shortbread, and vanilla ice cream get topped with a drizzle of 100 year old balsamic vinegar.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Last night's dinner: Winter soup made from a pureed blend of celeriac, turnip, potato, carrot and a little cabbage, garnished with crumbled blue cheese. 

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:51 pm

Tonight: Sichuan-style stir-fry of green beans, tofu and onions. 

no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:16 pm

I was off today (sometimes it's nice working for a bank) and cooked supper for Gail, who had to work: sauteed two chicken breasts until almost done, then sauteed minced garlic and diced yellow bell pepper, added 8 oz sliced crimini mushrooms and a bunch of fresh spinach leaves; added back the chicken, 1/2 cup chicken stock, and 1/2 cup Chardonnay (my homemade). Let simmeruntil veggies were cooked through, and served with short-grain brown rice (cooked in stock). Gail was impressed. ;)
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:02 am

Visited a friend in Minneapolis to celebrate his birthday. On the day itself he invited a bunch of folks over and everyone cooked up a storm: egg ravioli, pear & kumquat salad, b'stilla, beef tenderloin with sauce Bernaise, a cheese board, and a chocolate bundt cake with macerated raspberries.

And 14 bottles of wine, including three dessert wines... all red!

Photos in this set (start at #31): http://public.fotki.com/jeffg165/friends/bruces-49th-birthday/page2.html
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:28 am

Quite a spread Jeff!

Had been vacationing in Singapore the last few weeks. Got home a couple of days ago, and after unpacking and such, finally got back into the habit of cooking for myself again.
Made a couple of Middle Eastern dishes - za'atar bread topped with crumbled goat cheese, and roast chicken thighs stuffed with a variety of herbs and spices. Also roasted a few baby potatoes in d'Artagnan duck fat on the side. :)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:40 am

Looks like a lot of great food, Jeff! I can only imagine what the 50th will be like.

Last night, we had a few friends and their kids over for a birthday dinner as well. The birthday girl likes beef bourguignon, so I made a batch of that along with some mashed potatoes and a ginger beet salad. Two of the attendees are vegetarians, so there was also a casserole made with rice, broccolini, shrooms, and gruyere. Dessert was ice cream with spiced caramel sauce and Mexican chocolate cookies.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Had an itch for Indian food and had some goat in the freezer so...Goat Rogan Josh; Indian potatoes with cauliflower; cilantro raiita. A dense almond cake with apricot glaze and honey mascarpone cream for dessert that was leftover from the Russian party the night before.
Mamma Mia !
PreviousNext