Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's cooking?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: What's cooking?

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Last night was rack of lamb, seasoned and cooked on the grill to medium rare. I picked up a green cauliflower, which was among a beautiful selection of purple, gold and white cauliflowers. I mentioned before that I am loving mashed cauliflower, with the addition of a Yukon Gold potato to beef up the texture. I steamed the green beauty, then mashed along with the potato to a creamy pale green that was interesting. The addition of lots of snipped chives from our garden, a little butter and some half and half made for a very good side with the lamb.

Gene was playing with a new headset that allows him to turn the sound up and down separately from the universal TV remote. He has a hearing issue and I will not tolerate the loud TV. He was quite thrilled with the way they were working and decided to keep them on so he could still listen to the program we were watching while he was tending to the grill on the patio. All was going great until his attention was on the headset and not on the food and the rack caught on fire. He got it out quickly and we still got our medium rare lamb but with a nice char on the outside. :) He does like the idea of not having to miss a minute of a program now, he will just have to get better at multi-tasking!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:26 pm

Tonight will be Beijing meat sauce noodles.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Cold snap here so tonight is braised beef short ribs.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:31 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Tonight will be Beijing meat sauce noodles.

-Paul W.

OOH, what's a Beijing meat sauce?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Tonight it is Cubano Pork Chops with a rub of lime zest, McCormick seasoning, cumin, gr. coriander. allspice, brown sugar and evoo, grilled. A mix of red potatoes, red pearl onions, fresh thyme, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper, evoo and roasted. An avocado salad with radish, and a lime vinaigrette
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:28 am

We had leftovers from Sunday dinner, but Sunday dinner was pretty damn good! Curried goat, saffron rice, fennel-apple slaw, Caribbean cornbread (jalapeños and coconut), apple-tomato chutney (from last summer's garden), sliced melons, Dessert: ginger cookies and Tennessee Whiskey cake and vanilla ice cream. Yummy!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:10 am

Jenise wrote:

-Paul W.

Also called tsa chaing mein or zhajiangmian. Ground pork stir-fried with soy bean paste and minced scallions, served over noodles and various condiments (I usually use blanched bean sprouts and slivered cucumber).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:51 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:
Jenise wrote:

-Paul W.

Also called tsa chaing mein or zhajiangmian. Ground pork stir-fried with soy bean paste and minced scallions, served over noodles and various condiments (I usually use blanched bean sprouts and slivered cucumber).

-Paul W.

That sounds great!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:36 pm

A spicy Sichuan-style stir-fry of marinated tofu, thin-sliced snow peas and onions, ginger and garlic.

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:07 am

Today I made Senate Bean Soup. The original recipe from 1903 with mashed potatoes, navy beans, ham hock, celery, etc.

It is very good! Wonder if anyone has heard of this soup? It's been served in the US Senate cafeteria for 110 years.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:45 am

Frank Deis wrote:It is very good! Wonder if anyone has heard of this soup? It's been served in the US Senate cafeteria for 110 years.

Sure have! It's very similar to our family bean soup recipe. When my brother and sister and I were kids, my parents took us to The Nation's Capital to see all the historic sights, and a highlight of the trip was a visit to the Senate Cafeteria ... for bean soup, of course. We unanimously decided that Mom's was better. :lol:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Very well known soup, love it. There are many regional versions.

Tonight at our casa is fresh crab cakes with tomato corn relish and citrus aioli. Found some beautiful asparagus at Raley's yesterday, looked like first of the season batch. Will char them a little to serve as a side dish.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Scottish bubble and squeak patties with potatoes, cabbage, carrot and onion.

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Rigatoni with lentils and garlicky tomatoes, a Northeastern Italian pasta recipe from Lidia Bastianich, with sautéed broccoli added to make it dinner in a dish.

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:05 pm

Tonight is flank steak with an ancho chilie marinade, grilled to medium rare. Sweet onions and an assortment of mushrooms sauteed to golden brown, with a touch of balsamic vinegar. We will split a baked spud. Plus, a salad with arugula, red leaf lettuce, parsley, celery heart, asian cuke, baby red scallions from our garden, dressed with a walnut oil and cabernet red wine vinegar vinaigrette. All this while watching the Oscars!!! :)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:06 pm

Robin, your lentils with Rigatoni is beautiful. Wish I liked lentils more.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:25 pm

Tonight is a seafood stew, with white wine, clam juice, calamari, scallops and shrimp, in a tomato, onion, garlic, fennel, sauce. A simple green salad of various leaves, fresh herbs and lemon vinaigrette
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Frank Deis wrote:Today I made Senate Bean Soup. The original recipe from 1903 with mashed potatoes, navy beans, ham hock, celery, etc.

It is very good! Wonder if anyone has heard of this soup? It's been served in the US Senate cafeteria for 110 years.

My wife used to make it 2-3 times each winter Frank. Sadly, she is no longer able to cook for me. We loved it first time we had it back around 1965.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:03 pm

Tonight will be fettucine with an oxtail ragu from the Babbo cookbook.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:02 pm

Thai red curry made with snow peas, browned onions, garlic and ginger, coconut milk and a "fusion" ingredient, a dollop of red mole sauce from Louisville's Mayan Cafe. Worked out great!

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Spaghetti alla carbonara with pasta dressed in free-range eggs and Pecorino Romano, turned meatless with crispy roasted skinny asparagus in place of the traditional pancetta or bacon.

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:58 pm

Roast pork lo mein last night. Tonight's dinner will be doro wat.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:52 pm

Braciole !!!!!!!!! I'm using Lidias recipe, the house smells wonderful right now and I'll take a pic if I don't eat it too fast. :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Yesterday, I was just planning some grilled pork chops and then one of Noel Ermitano's posts kicked me in the fanny about stepping up and out with something a bit more adventurous. After all, my pantry was pretty bare (haven't restocked since returning from our trip), a situation in which lacking the luxury of options I usually do some of my most creative thinking. The result didn't disappoint: after a salad of chopped tomatoes and cocktail peppers with a feta-basil vinaigrette, we had a stack each of two thin cut pork chops braised in milk/red wine vinegar/mustard/herbs d'Provence garnished with roasted celery and candied black oil-cured olives--an aged Rhone went perfectly with that.

IMG_5554-001.JPG

Tonight? I have a 1.8 lb porterhouse to go with a 2004 Palmer. Not sure about the sides, yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
PreviousNext