Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Any interest?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChefCarey

Any interest?

by ChefCarey » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:12 pm

Although my publisher is incredibly cheap, my publicist asked me to post this...they *might* spring for gas money.

Are there enough foodies in Louisville to warrant setting up a book signing there for Chef on Fire?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Any interest?

by Howie Hart » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:25 pm

I don't know about Louisville, but if you could make Ann Arbor this weekend......
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:31 pm

ChefCarey wrote:Are there enough foodies in Louisville to warrant setting up a book signing there for Chef on Fire?

Hard to say ... it's a fair-size city, 1.1 million metro, with an unusually large percapita number of restaurants including a good number of indies.

I could certainly guarantee you publicity in the alternative weekly and on my local Websites, but since the local daily paper doesn't like me and I don't like them, it could hurt you in getting publicity with them if it looks too much like I'm beating your drum.

Short answer, though, Louisville isn't that much smaller than Melvis, and perhaps a bit more of a foodie town.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:40 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I don't know about Louisville, but if you could make Ann Arbor this weekend......

I promise you - pigs will fly before my publisher foots an extravgant excursion like that. I had to fight tooth and nail to get my *previously-agreed-upon * expense money back from the when I went to New Orleans for a few signings for Creole Nouvelle.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:43 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
ChefCarey wrote:Are there enough foodies in Louisville to warrant setting up a book signing there for Chef on Fire?

Hard to say ... it's a fair-size city, 1.1 million metro, with an unusually large percapita number of restaurants including a good number of indies.

I could certainly guarantee you publicity in the alternative weekly and on my local Websites, but since the local daily paper doesn't like me and I don't like them, it could hurt you in getting publicity with them if it looks too much like I'm beating your drum.

Short answer, though, Louisville isn't that much smaller than Melvis, and perhaps a bit more of a foodie town.

Probably is more of a foodie town. So, you and the CJ are on the outs, huh? Well, actually your audience is most likely more targeted than theirs, I would go with you. If they mentioned me fine, if not, fine also.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:55 pm

Well, you could always try to work up a crowd in San Francisco. Fares are cheap these days and we'd be happy to likker you up like a shopping mall Santa.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:26 pm

ChefCarey wrote:So, you and the CJ are on the outs, huh? Well, actually your audience is most likely more targeted than theirs, I would go with you. If they mentioned me fine, if not, fine also.

Well, it's not like a blood feud. They probably would deep-six anything that came over the transom from me, but I could give you a couple of good contacts with a reasonable chance that you could get a story or at least a blurb in the main paper and in Velocity, their <i>faux</i> alternative weekly. And I could definitely take care of you in LEO, the <i>real</i> alternative weekly, and on LouisvilleHotBytes.com.

It would pay to have a couple of weeks advance, though, for weeklies' publication schedules.