Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anyone have a contact for Burt Kaplan?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Anyone have a contact for Burt Kaplan?

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:27 pm

I've had an inquiry from a major media reporter who's got a new cookbook in hand, "World's Best Tomato Recipes," by a Burton Kaplan. No clue if this is our (former) Burtie, but it sure sounds like something he would do.

The cookbook publisher is being thoroughly uncooperative, and I don't have Burt's E-mail or contact info any more. If any of you have either E-mail or phone for him, please pass them on ASAP, by email to wine@wineloverspage.com if you don't want to put it online.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Anyone have a contact for Burt Kaplan?

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:15 pm

Robin, I may be able to find on my old computer. In the meantime consider http://www.magicmountainmusic.org/pdtBooksSO.html
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:20 pm

I think this is him: Magic Mountain Music Farm, Practice Marathon Retreats

Morris, NY, May 23–June 7 (ret. #1); July 2–17 (ret. #2); July 27–September 2 (ret. #3 & #4); October 21–28 (ret. #5); January 2–17, 2003 (ret. #6). AF $40. Fee $1,350 (spec. 5wk sess.-$2900 all inclusive, free 3rd week holiday). R&B incl. Tape. (11)

Interest-free extended-payment plans available. Required: resumé, professional level of playing. Advanced conservatory students welcome. Founded in 1986. Intensive practice marathon retreats for violinists, violists, and cellists. Expert individual coaching three times a week. Daily workshops to increase performance consistency and confidence, reduce muscle tension, and improve practicing effectiveness. Gourmet food.

Faculty: Burton Kaplan, violin/viola/cello.

Contact: Burton Kaplan, 817 West End Ave., #11B, New York, NY 10025. (212) 662-6634. Fax: (212) 662-2916. E-mail:musicfarm@mindspring.com. Web: http://www.magicmountainmusic.org.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:34 pm

Bob, are you sure? Maybe I've just forgotten, but I sure didn't think "our" Burt was a professional music teacher, and I also thought he lived upstate.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:37 pm

I almost positive, Robin. I think the school/residence is upstate -- Magic Mountain. The NY address was an office, if I remember well.

I can check tonight on my old computer and confirm.

But the only reason I would know about this music/Burton Kaplan would have been through FLDG.

I'll get back to you soon as possible with certainty -- or lack thereof.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:40 pm

Bob Ross wrote:I almost positive, Robin. ... I'll get back to you soon as possible with certainty -- or lack thereof.

Don't make a big project out of it, Bob. I really appreciate your help, and I'm sure you're right. It just happens that I only saw the foodie side of Burt and didn't recall a music side. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:44 pm

No, you're right. Burt told me about this error and it was discussed in FLDG at one time: http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/i ... mid=257336

Burt lived next door to the violinist "Burton Kaplan" in the City, and his phone number was one digit different. Sorry. (But maybe the violinist keeps in touch with our Burt. :-))

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:24 am

That book is definitely by our Burt "Disappearing Ink" Kaplan. I've been aware of it's publication via a mutual friend. As for the musician part--doesn't sound like the burt I remember, but hey. He taught at a university or college if I remember, somewhere up in white pizza territory. Mystic CT?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:54 am

Jenise wrote:That book is definitely by our Burt "Disappearing Ink" Kaplan. I've been aware of it's publication via a mutual friend. As for the musician part--doesn't sound like the burt I remember, but hey. He taught at a university or college if I remember, somewhere up in white pizza territory. Mystic CT?

I can't remember the details, Jenise, but the reporter who's keen to interview him isn't having much luck.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:00 am

Westport, Connecticut, I think, Jenise, at least in 2002 -- Burt moved alot. From Passaic, NJ, near Clifton border. See http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/i ... mid=241368

We planned to tour the Bronx markets, but somehow schedules never matched. I see there's a Burton H. Kaplan in northwestern Connecticut now, but no other listings I recognize.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:19 am

but the reporter who's keen to interview him isn't having much luck

Neither did burt's ex-wife. OOPS. I shouldn't have said that. :shock: Can't the reporter find him through his publisher?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:53 am

Jenise wrote:
but the reporter who's keen to interview him isn't having much luck

Neither did burt's ex-wife. OOPS. I shouldn't have said that. :shock: Can't the reporter find him through his publisher?

I didn't recall Burt as being the marryin' kind. Anyway, no, the reporter got a real cold shoulder from the publisher ... no help at all there.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:55 pm

He mentioned having been divorced.

I have thought of burt more than once when I've looked at pictures of Jamie Oliver, a bottle of Tavel or box of Maldon Salt.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:47 pm

Our Bertie was from Ct. Not NY.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:55 pm

Agreed, Bob. But he also seemed to keep an apartment in the City, or at least spend some time there occasionally.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:10 pm

Wasn't he engaged in writing a book when he left the FLDG some years ago...and was that about the same time that Jimmie Wellman left?

PS: And Becca of course
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:58 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Wasn't he engaged in writing a book when he left the FLDG some years ago...and was that about the same time that Jimmie Wellman left?

PS: And Becca of course

No, it wasn't about the same time at all. Burtie had his own separate reasons for his exit.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:59 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I've had an inquiry from a major media reporter who's got a new cookbook in hand, "World's Best Tomato Recipes," by a Burton Kaplan. No clue if this is our (former) Burtie, but it sure sounds like something he would do.

The cookbook publisher is being thoroughly uncooperative, and I don't have Burt's E-mail or contact info any more. If any of you have either E-mail or phone for him, please pass them on ASAP, by email to wine@wineloverspage.com if you don't want to put it online.

Robin (or anyone else), were you able to find a current e-mail address for Burtie?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:02 pm

No, Dave, nothing ever came of that inquiry.
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:56 am

Thanks Jenise and I realize nothing came out of that original inquiry, but I was wondering if anyone did have *current* contact info for Burtie.