Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hey Robin! Are we a target?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Hey Robin! Are we a target?

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:22 am

If food-related places like an Amish popcorn factory and Dunkin Donuts can land on the government's terrorist target list, I was wondering if the FLDG is on it. And, if not, how can we get on the list?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Doubtful ...

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:46 am

Larry, I would tread real carefully here. We've got so many liberals around that we might be a target OF Homeland Security ...
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Doubtful ...

by James Roscoe » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:58 am

Wouldn't that make you proud Robin? Sort of like being on Nixon's enemy list? I thought that was a badge of honor among liberals in the 70s? I guess these are darker times.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:45 am

Robin Garr wrote:Larry, I would tread real carefully here. We've got so many liberals around that we might be a target OF Homeland Security ...

Liberals? Where? Probably a bunch of atheists too! (old-timers might get the joke...)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Hey Robin! Are we a target?

by Paul Winalski » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:20 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:If food-related places like an Amish popcorn factory and Dunkin Donuts can land on the government's terrorist target list, I was wondering if the FLDG is on it. And, if not, how can we get on the list?

There are a lot of New England towns where bombing a Dunkin Donuts would wipe out the town's police force. :D

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:13 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Wouldn't that make you proud Robin? Sort of like being on Nixon's enemy list? I thought that was a badge of honor among liberals in the 70s? I guess these are darker times.

Hell, the Fox media have pulled the center so far to the right since then that by today's standards, Nixon would be considered a dangerous leftie. Food stamps! Guaranteed annual wage! Anne Coulter would be shrieking for his assassination.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:17 pm

Paul, you just made me spit my lemonade on my keyboard.

B
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:33 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Hell, the Fox media have pulled the center so far to the right since then that by today's standards, Nixon would be considered a dangerous leftie. Food stamps! Guaranteed annual wage! Anne Coulter would be shrieking for his assassination.

But "You people" still have CNN, CBS, and NBC to balance everything out, not to mention that big fat guy who makes all those bad propoganda movies. (don't go talkin' smack about the anorexic beauty queen of the ragin' right)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:06 pm

Alas for a celebrity death match between the fat guy and the anorexic beauty queen...
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:22 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Alas for a celebrity death match between the fat guy and the anorexic beauty queen...

My initial reaction is that I'd pay money to see that! Unfortunately, it would just degenerate into a couple of twelve year olds pushing and shoving each other. Wait a second, the story line could get good.... Through in some mud, ripped clothes, ..... Bad visual coming up!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:45 pm

Hey, what about conservative atheists? We're people, too. Someone has to keep an eye on us...
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:11 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Hey, what about conservative atheists? We're people, too. Someone has to keep an eye on us...

I'm an athiest when it comes to athiests. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:12 am

Hey, what about conservative atheists? We're people, too.

Not in George Bush's base, you're not. Not too late to join the other team!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:18 pm

Jenise wrote:
Hey, what about conservative atheists? We're people, too.

Not in George Bush's base, you're not. Not too late to join the other team!

The other team hates me more.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:50 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Hey, what about conservative atheists? We're people, too. Someone has to keep an eye on us...

Not quite convinced that liberals exist?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:12 am

Sadly, I'm quite convinced of it.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:49 pm

I'm a niche.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:30 pm

James Roscoe wrote:

I'm an athiest when it comes to athiests. :twisted:

Wouldn't that be aatheist?
no avatar
User

Jeff Yeast

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 pm

Lexington, KY

by Jeff Yeast » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:44 pm

Interestingly enough, the KY Bourbon Festival was placed on the list of possible terrorist targets. That I understand! We need a cabinet level agency to guard our beloved wine and spirits!
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:10 pm

Jeff Yeast wrote:Interestingly enough, the KY Bourbon Festival was placed on the list of possible terrorist targets. That I understand! We need a cabinet level agency to guard our beloved wine and spirits!

While we're on this topic...

I have received personal attention from and personal correspondence from the Department of Homeland Security. So, in case you wonder how your taxes are being spent by those who are protecting our well-being, let me clue you in.

I had a seizure - no, not that kind! I was endangering the country by ordering a carton of cigarettes from Andorra. (Never mind why - not relevant here.) I received a letter from the Department of Homeland Security saying they had seized my carton of cigarettes. I was instructed that I would need to fill out certain forms available from any of their offices and pay the duty on the carton of cigarettes and then I could have them. Or, alternatively, I could just forfeit them. I saved you a bunch of money by forfeiting them.

My first thought is how much did it cost for someone to monitor this, ferret out the offending carton, sieze it, warehouse it, pass along this information to another office where this letter was composed and passed along to a superior for approval, I'm sure, and then send it to me?

And here you thought the Department was not doing its job protecting you!

So, don't be afraid, there's not a snowball's chance in hell of a dangerous $13.00 carton of cigarettes attacking you.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:04 pm

Phew! I can finally start sleeping again, now that I don't have to worry about Andorran cigarettes sneaking into the country. What a relief!
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:01 am

ChefCarey wrote:I was instructed that I would need to fill out certain forms available from any of their offices and pay the duty on the carton of cigarettes and then I could have them.

Last year, for Xmas, I imported a couple kilos of giandujotti from Torino. In preparation for this momentous chocolate-and-hazelnut event, I filled out numerous forms on the FDA website relating to the terms and conditions of the Bio-Terrorism Act of 2002. I was on a first-name basis with the lovely woman (Yvette) who offers public guidance there. (Are these "chocolate with nuts" or "chocolate and nuts"?)

I also had to persuade the owner of the shop that it really was possible to ship chocolate to the US anymore... I just had to do a bunch of paperwork in advance. And send him some of them, which he had to put on the goods. And on the outside of the box. And give a couple to his local UPS....

Fortunately, I really really like these giandujotti, so the labor was worth it.

But just barely.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:10 am

Larry Greenly wrote:If food-related places like an Amish popcorn factory and Dunkin Donuts can land on the government's terrorist target list, I was wondering if the FLDG is on it. And, if not, how can we get on the list?

Keep promoting screw caps.

Liberal and proud of it. :D
Next