Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

TTN: Darjeeling Monteviot FTGFOP1

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

TTN: Darjeeling Monteviot FTGFOP1

by Saina » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:27 pm

My first tea TN in quite a while. It's just as long and boring as all the previous ones. I really would like to see others' notes on tea and coffee also....

The Monteviot tea plantation was founded in 1856 in the Kurseong-valley in the southern parts of Darjeeling, at c.1700m altitude.

This was brewed at just under boiling point (my guess = 96-97 C) for about 4 minutes. Its colour is like that of a young Tokaji Eszencia.

Like in all first flush teas, this one has a lovely prominent fresh aroma of greenness and lime even. It reminds me rather of a Riesling! It also has the orange peel aromas of black teas.

The palate combines the lightness and freshness of green tea to the tannic bite and assertiveness of black tea - a perfect combination if you ask me, and the reason why I love first flush teas.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: TTN: Darjeeling Monteviot FTGFOP1

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:36 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:I really would like to see others' notes on tea and coffee also....

Good idea! I'll try to do that, Otto, the next time I have something interesting, and hope others will do the same. No need for special training, just bring your wine-tasting report techniques to other fluids.