Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Recipe report: Skye's mustard roasted potatoes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Recipe report: Skye's mustard roasted potatoes

by Jenise » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:54 pm

I've roasted potatoes with garlic and herbs a number of times, but these are the best I've ever had. I served them with grilled chicken and an arugula pesto, but to be honest the chicken was annoyingly in my way--I just wanted to eat the potatoes. How did they differ from what I usually do? Well, for one, the dry Colman's mustard. I probably added a heaping teaspoon before they went in, and then I added more before I served them. But there's more--at Sky's urging, I went liberal on the olive oil. She described the dish in its raw state as dripping and messy, and so I poured and poured until what I saw in front of me could be described as such, which was about three times what I would usually put on roasted potatoes (just enough to coat). And then I put in twice as much garlic and twice as much rosemary and I used two different seasoned salts to approximate her Spike. And THEN, instead of spreading them out on a cookie sheet I piled them all into, crowded and cozy, a ceramic baking dish.

The result? Just as Skye described. Most of the oil disappeared into the potatoes (I used red, cut in half longways and then cut into 1" sections. Some potatoes were soft but more were crispy (I love it when food has a variety of character), and all were marvelously, thoroughly seasoned.

Thanks, Skye! You taught me a new trick.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov