Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's your favorite steak side dish?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: What's your favorite steak side dish?

by Carl Eppig » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:58 am

We like to take baby Yukon Golds, roll them in EVOO in a glass baking dish and roast in a hot oven for 50-60 minutes. Hardly gets any better.

When we lived in Omaha, we had to get used to their Italian Steak Houses. For five and half years it was steak and pasta every Saturday night!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:10 am

"favorite steak side dish?"
Does lobster count? :P
no avatar
User

MichaelJ

Rank

Wine geek

Fri May 05, 2006 3:54 pm

Minneapolis, MN

by MichaelJ » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:44 am

Jenise wrote:
ChefCarey wrote:I think what John said is close to the mark - elegant simplicity and no fakery.

Chef, John, Howie, and Michael J:

Michael's comment about sopping up the juices, Howie's comment about corn on the cob and Chef's comment about restaurants together made something click in my head: to me, steak is knife and fork food, and fries are finger food. (I know, they don't have to be and in a restaurant setting I would not eat with my hands, but that's how I relate to them nonetheless). So, of course, is corn on the cob. And I tend to not like mixed-instrument entrees 'cuz I'm a girl and I can't stand the grubby fingerprints on the cutlery or my ever-present wine glass: I want to eat the whole meal with my hands OR with a knife and fork, but never both.

And since steak is about the last thing I order in restaurants, not even in Europe have I ordered a steak and fries. Seems odd looking back since I tend to order local classics when I travel (mussels and frites--done it!), but there it is.

Fries are a finger food, unless it's steak frites. And you know, I have never ordered this in Europe either, but it's on my menu 9 out of 10 Fridays. Hey, what day is it? Friday! : 8)
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:24 am

MichaelJ wrote:
Jenise wrote:
ChefCarey wrote:I think what John said is close to the mark - elegant simplicity and no fakery.

Chef, John, Howie, and Michael J:

Michael's comment about sopping up the juices, Howie's comment about corn on the cob and Chef's comment about restaurants together made something click in my head: to me, steak is knife and fork food, and fries are finger food. (I know, they don't have to be and in a restaurant setting I would not eat with my hands, but that's how I relate to them nonetheless). So, of course, is corn on the cob. And I tend to not like mixed-instrument entrees 'cuz I'm a girl and I can't stand the grubby fingerprints on the cutlery or my ever-present wine glass: I want to eat the whole meal with my hands OR with a knife and fork, but never both.

And since steak is about the last thing I order in restaurants, not even in Europe have I ordered a steak and fries. Seems odd looking back since I tend to order local classics when I travel (mussels and frites--done it!), but there it is.

Fries are a finger food, unless it's steak frites. And you know, I have never ordered this in Europe either, but it's on my menu 9 out of 10 Fridays. Hey, what day is it? Friday! : 8)

I'd like to say I understand your post - I'd like to, but unfortunately I can't :)

It is a *good* thing to order steak in a restaurant, especially a STEAKHOUSE! Quite often the chef will be able to purchase much better aged beef than you are able to find in your local supermarket.

Seriously, though, even though I have done many seafood restaurants, I always had one or two *good* steaks on the menu. Every large party is going to have someone who doesn't want/eat seafood.

So, there. :)
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:37 am

Good french fries are my favorite side dish with EVERYTHING.

:)

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:59 am

ChefCarey wrote:It is a *good* thing to order steak in a restaurant, especially a STEAKHOUSE! Quite often the chef will be able to purchase much better aged beef than you are able to find in your local supermarket.

I almost never order in a restaurant what I can easily do myself at home (eating out should be for something you wouldn't or couldn't make). So I almost never order a steak (we have excellent butchers here - they even save me things like fresh sweetbreads that normally go to restaurants).

Bill (who has always thought that indulging in 'wagyu beef' sounds like something that should get you arrested....)
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:37 pm

Given my Asian heritage, I'll have to go with steamed white rice, Japanese variety. Not as dry as a baked potatoe, not as sloppy as mashed, it still nicely sops up the meat juices.
no avatar
User

bgbarcus

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:25 am

by bgbarcus » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:09 am

Fried, sauteed or roasted potatoes are always welcome but sauteed mushrooms are my number one steak side dish.
no avatar
User

Richard Atkinson

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:36 pm

We bounce back & forth between a fresh spinach salad or asparagus...

by Richard Atkinson » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:36 pm

In fall or winter...we'll roast herbed potatoes. Too hot in the summer to fire up the oven.

But always, no matter what other side we serve with steak (usually a green veggie & a loaf of bread)...I always lay a thick slice (or 2) of salt & peppered tomato right in the middle of my steak... a bite of steak...a bite of tomato....

Richard
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:48 pm

I like pommes anna AND creamed spinach. Or fries and the spinach.

I want two sides with mine...or as Robin's Mary calls it...I want a triangle meal (meat, starch, veg).
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:27 pm

Most commonly it's small potatoes, quartered with the skins left on, lightly covered in olive oil and sprinkled with rosemary and thin onion slices and then baked for about half an hour. Along with this, I make a stewed zucchini/eggplant/tomato veggie side dish that works great with Pinotage.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:54 am

Has to be chips - (i.e thick cut french fries), English mustard, a mixed salad, chunky bread and ample red wine.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:43 am

Peter, I am not sure I understand about the mustard. Would you explain what role the mustard plays. Do you dress the steak with it, or do you drag the chips through it like many do with french fries and catsup? Also, what exactly makes a mustard an english mustard? TIA.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:13 am

I put a spoonful on the side of the plate and dip the piece of steak I have just cut off into the mustard before putting in my mouth.

English mustard - Colmans is the most famous brand - is very very hot.

It is to buy it in a small tin as a powder, add some cold water 10 minutes before you need it and mix to a paste consistency. You can buy ready made, but the freshly made mustard is even hotter and doesn't have any preservatives etc.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:32 am

Jenise,
Oven fries are our second favorite and to really gross everyone out we use a dry onion soup mix and olive oil to coat the fries before going in the oven.
Walt
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:53 pm

wrcstl wrote:Since we are not major steak fans I was not going to reply but one side just jumps out. I agree with most that potatoes are the starch of choice. Baked potatoes are OK but I do not like french fries as they contain too much fat and pommes frites are great but good ones are terribly time consuming. For lack of a better word I will call my dish sauteed ptotatoes. Cut spuds into 1 1/2" cubes and partially cook in boiling water then drain. Just before serving put in a hot sautee pan with OO, minced garlic and fresh rosemary and brown. Taste is great, less fat and goes great with the steak, or in our case most anything you want to serve them with.
Walt

I tend to disagree about the fat content of fried potatoes. Fry the right potato - Russet (Burbank) at the right temperatures - 350 - 360 degrees - the right number of times - 2 - in the right oil - peanut oil (a monounsaturated fat) eat them a couple of times a week, and I don't think they contribute much to the fat content of a diet. And they are damn good.

And, for what it's worth, I discern no appreciable distinction between "fried potatoes" and pommes de terre frites.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:18 pm

ChefCarey wrote:
wrcstl wrote:Since we are not major steak fans I was not going to reply but one side just jumps out. I agree with most that potatoes are the starch of choice. Baked potatoes are OK but I do not like french fries as they contain too much fat and pommes frites are great but good ones are terribly time consuming. For lack of a better word I will call my dish sauteed ptotatoes. Cut spuds into 1 1/2" cubes and partially cook in boiling water then drain. Just before serving put in a hot sautee pan with OO, minced garlic and fresh rosemary and brown. Taste is great, less fat and goes great with the steak, or in our case most anything you want to serve them with.
Walt

I tend to disagree about the fat content of fried potatoes. Fry the right potato - Russet (Burbank) at the right temperatures - 350 - 360 degrees - the right number of times - 2 - in the right oil - peanut oil (a monounsaturated fat) eat them a couple of times a week, and I don't think they contribute much to the fat content of a diet. And they are damn good.

And, for what it's worth, I discern no appreciable distinction between "fried potatoes" and pommes de terre frites.

Chef Carey,
Won't argue but as I said pomme frites are a lot of trouble unless you find yourself in a restaurant in Brussels. We do not really fry our potatoes, just brown them in about 1-2 TBS of OO and fresh rosemary. Got to think there is much more fat in french fries and even in the classic pommes frites.
Walt
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:36 pm

Chef Carey said: It is a *good* thing to order steak in a restaurant, especially a
STEAKHOUSE! Quite often the chef will be able to purchase much better aged beef than you are able to find in your local supermarket.

Chef, that I know. It's just that when I go out to eat, there are always more interesting things on the menu than steak.

Mike said:
Good french fries are my favorite side dish with EVERYTHING.

I realize I've ended up sounding like I don't like fries. Wrong--I LOVE THEM! The problem is in the side dish part. Steak and fries, especially a properly cooked fresh potato that's twice fried? Great, keep the steak just give me the fries!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:39 pm

ScottD wrote:care to share, if you have a chance?

Scott: good baking potatoes, thick cut, soaked all day in cold water or for an hour with very hot water poured over them to start, dried, tossed in olive oil, then baked at about 450 for 30ish minutes. Crispy outside, creamy inside. As always, don't salt until they're out of the oven.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:41 pm

I would certainly need to try that Peter. I have never tried mustard with steak, muchless hot mustard. typical carnival fare here is a hotdog on a stick with a cornmeal breading around the dog...now that with your mustard would be quite improved. :-) Thanks for the reply.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:21 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:I would certainly need to try that Peter. I have never tried mustard with steak, muchless hot mustard. typical carnival fare here is a hotdog on a stick with a cornmeal breading around the dog...now that with your mustard would be quite improved. :-) Thanks for the reply.

Be warned that there is no similarity between US style mustard such as the brand 'Frenchs' and English mustard except in colour - take only the smallest smear as it is red hot.

I have seen Colmans English mustard on sale in US supermarkets. But if you cannot get any I'll happily post you some :)
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

by ChefCarey » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:54 am

Peter May wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:I would certainly need to try that Peter. I have never tried mustard with steak, muchless hot mustard. typical carnival fare here is a hotdog on a stick with a cornmeal breading around the dog...now that with your mustard would be quite improved. :-) Thanks for the reply.

Be warned that there is no similarity between US style mustard such as the brand 'Frenchs' and English mustard except in colour - take only the smallest smear as it is red hot.

I have seen Colmans English mustard on sale in US supermarkets. But if you cannot get any I'll happily post you some :)

Use quite a bit of mustard around here. I buy Colman's - dry mustard -in a 10-pound can myself - use it in my dry rub which has been mentioned around these parts several times. But, I do see it available in supermarkets in smaller quantities.

And I buy Dijon - wet mustard - in a nine-pound can. I use this in the potato salad I make with barbecue.
no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Coastal Oregon

by Skye Astara » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:04 pm

We always had a small tin of Colman's dry mustard in the pantry when I was growing up. I remember my mother using it, but for the life of me I can't recall what exactly she used it for. I believe she put a bit in the yolk mixture for deviled eggs. Can't remember what else, but I know that it was indispensible and she would buy a new tin every couple of months whether the old one was used up or not. So, it is a staple in my pantry as well.

As for side dishes with steak, most often I will cut up potatoes, toss them with a liberal amount of EVOO, add overwhelming amounts of fresh rosemary (less often, fresh dill), fresh garlic (is there any other form?), the afore-mentioned dry mustard, and a spice/herb mixture that I am beyond fond of, called Spike. Sometimes a bunch of green onions. 375 degrees or so in the oven, toss every 15 minutes or so, till everything is done. Some crusty bits, some tender/creamy pieces, overall just delicious.

And a salad of either miner's lettuce picked from the creekside, or mesclun mix. Dressed with something creamy, lightish and NOT from a bottle.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:42 pm

Hey girlfriend, you found us! Good to see you again.

Tantalizing idea of using dry mustard in your oven roasted potato coating. I'll bet that really marries the potato to the steak.

Now tell me more about "miner's lettuce"? Something strictly wild grown?
PreviousNext