Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's your favorite steak side dish?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 pm

Coastal Oregon

Re: What's your favorite steak side dish?

by Skye Astara » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:29 pm

Thank you! I am amazed that anyone remembers me; I wasn't exactly the strong presence that some members were (are) eh. Found, indeed... several months ago, after some chaos (moving etc) I tried to wander in but I think you were in the midst of changing the board and I had difficulty navigating. My partner came home the other night with 4 lbs of Copper River salmon, and where else would I be instantly compelled to check? It is wonderful to be back. I have spent the better part of the last couple of days reading back posts lol, being sort of bedridden at the moment.

As you may be able to guess, I like big flavours. When I say overwhelming amounts, I mean it. Before the potatoes go into the oven, they are very well coated with gobs of rosemary and garlic.

Miner's lettuce is a wild green. I believe it is common where you are as well. I live in the heart of the gold country in California, thus the name. The best way that I can describe it is that it is a bit like a combination of butter lettuce, spinach, mache, and frisee in flavour. Texture is close to mache, flavour probably closest to butter lettuce if I had to narrow it down. It is very high in vitamin C; the miners staved off scurvy by utilization of it. I have never been able to find a source of seeds, and I can say from experience that it takes about 3 years of benign neglect, for it to establish a large enough patch for harvesting.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:02 pm

I like miner's lettuce, too. Whenever I'm in the Marin Headlands, I harvest a leaf or two, although it's illegal as that's part of the GGNRA. It's the same as pinching some bay laurel.

As for a seed source, you might try here:MINER'S LETTUCE (Winter Purslane) - Packet. And I'm sure there are other sources.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:12 pm

Skye,
I see you are in the Tahoe area. Have you ever been to the Tuesday Farmer's Market, 8 a.m. at the American Legion Hall, in So. Lake Tahoe? We will be RVing there soon and I found this market. I hear it is really great. Don't know my way around the area but am told to take the exit of Hiway 50/89 toward Emerald Bay. The market manager mentioned the "bug station" Raley's, and outlet stores.
no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Coastal Oregon

by Skye Astara » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:52 pm

No, I am actually about an hour from Tahoe, in Nevada City/Grass Valley area. As nobody knows where that is, I use Tahoe since it's the closest place that most people know.

We have some great farmer's markets here, too, but it sounds like the one in Tahoe may be worth a peek sometime. Despite the cost of fuel, we still like to venture out. Went to Oregon quite literally on the spur of the moment a few weeks ago, and I think we'll be heading up there again soon.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:12 am

Skye Astara wrote:No, I am actually about an hour from Tahoe, in Nevada City/Grass Valley area. As nobody knows where that is, I use Tahoe since it's the closest place that most people know.

We have some great farmer's markets here, too, but it sounds like the one in Tahoe may be worth a peek sometime. Despite the cost of fuel, we still like to venture out. Went to Oregon quite literally on the spur of the moment a few weeks ago, and I think we'll be heading up there again soon.

Hey wait a minute! There are at least a couple of KVMR fans here....

:D

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:08 am

Jenise wrote:
ScottD wrote:care to share, if you have a chance?

Scott: good baking potatoes, thick cut, soaked all day in cold water or for an hour with very hot water poured over them to start, dried, tossed in olive oil, then baked at about 450 for 30ish minutes. Crispy outside, creamy inside. As always, don't salt until they're out of the oven.

Thanks Jenise!
no avatar
User

Kirk Arnott

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:15 am

Columbus, Ohio

by Kirk Arnott » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:49 pm

We keep it all on the grill, next to the steaks. Asparagus and portobellos.
no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Coastal Oregon

by Skye Astara » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:34 pm

KVMR is amazing (most of the time lol). I've had the pleasure of meeting a couple of the broadcasters and they were both wonderful people, exactly as they seem on the air.

If I'm not mistaken, Mike, you gave me some recommendations for taco shop-style mexican restaurants a couple of years ago or so.

Now, as for Miner's lettuce being illegal to harvest- my immediate reaction was of amazement, immediately followed by amazement that I should be amazed by that. I of course believe you, but find it ironic that a park ranger at Bridgeport (the state park in Grass Valley, as opposed to the city near Mammoth Lakes by the same name) once pointed out a profuse stand of it to me, knowing that I would be eating it with lunch that day.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:53 am

That was me, Skye. And I know what you mean about KVMR being great most of the time! :wink:

And I've had miner's lettuce once or twice myself. Good stuff - I didn't know it was a good source for vitamin C.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:04 am

Skye, it's not miner's lettuce per se which is illegal to harvest. (If it were, we'd probably be able to find some medicinal use for it and grow it in clubs! :) ) In general, we're not supposed to "pick the daisies" in the national parks. At least that's what I've been led to believe.
no avatar
User

Skye Astara

Rank

Wine geek

Coastal Oregon

by Skye Astara » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:57 pm

I think you are correct, but perhaps that rule doesn't apply when it comes to non-native 'weeds'?

I'm pretty sure that nobody would object to taking some blackberries for instance... but maybe all this time I've been commiting wanton acts of a criminal nature and am lucky to have my freedom.

LOL
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:41 pm

I promise not to turn you in ... as long as I get a taste next time you make it. :)

I was up on Mt. Wanda with my friend this weekend and we "borrowed" some Bay Laurel so I am as guilty as you are. By the way, now is the time to grab it before it gets all funky.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:26 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:I was up on Mt. Wanda with my friend this weekend and we "borrowed" some Bay Laurel so I am as guilty as you are. By the way, now is the time to grab it before it gets all funky.

Years ago, when Mary and I visited Muir Woods, there was an amazing amount of freshly fallen bay laurel leaves everywhere. They smelled absolutely delicious, and we packed all our pockets so full of leaves that we waddled out of there like snowmen. Nobody seemed to mind, and they lasted us for years, kept in airtight bottles.
no avatar
User

tsunami

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:59 am

by tsunami » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:33 pm

tsaziki :!:
Tsunami alias Albino
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:39 pm

Large slabs of seared foie gras.

Of course that is also my favourite ice cream side dish, breakfast cereal side dish, .........
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:28 am

So many good choices!

I think the winner is sauteed mushrooms. Close runners-up are sauteed spinach and The Great Baked. (Fries make me feel guilty about how much fat I'm eating. And, no, the butter in the preceding three dishes does not. Such is the wonder of selective attention. :wink: )

I am also fond of pickled things and I like olives, roasted peppers, giardinera, etc. as a contrast to the meat.
Previous