Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Post Your Food Photos !

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Re: Post Your Food Photos !

by Celia » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:29 am

Don't apologise, Bob! I agree with you! :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:05 am

celia wrote:Buckhuntr, you know that if I could figure out a reasonable way to get them to you, they'd be there now. :)

I PM'd you my address. How long will it take for them to get here?

rwj
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:36 pm

Robert J. wrote:
celia wrote:Buckhuntr, you know that if I could figure out a reasonable way to get them to you, they'd be there now. :)

I PM'd you my address. How long will it take for them to get here?
rwj

Does that mean she ships COD? :|
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:49 pm

No, Bobby. It means the Cowboy is an optimist. :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:44 am

Paulo's Paola's Lasagna !

and I know it's naughty, and culturally incongruous, but I couldn't resist having it with a bit of our new hot chilli jelly (there were 30 birdseyes and 8 kashmiri chillis in the batch, which made all of 7 jars). Actually, I've been eating this out of the jar with a spoon, it's so nice. Thank you to the Princess for the inspiration!

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:33 am

Oh yum, Celia, I could eat that! :D
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:39 pm

Matt, at 15, made his first batch of brownies yesterday. I told him there were too many men who were scared of baking, and my son wasn't going to be one of them! He made them himself, from scratch, with instruction. They turned out slightly overcooked, but delicious nonetheless. His little brother is a big fan!

baking boy 010.jpg

baking boy 017.jpg

baking boy 019.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:46 am

Colin has, in the past, wanted chocolate cake with chocolate frosting for his birthday cake and I always oblige. This year he threw me a curve and said that he wanted a white cake with vanilla frosting. Still, I happily obliged. He really liked the specks of vanilla bean.

rwj
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:46 pm

I told him there were too many men who were scared of baking

Why, who could you possibly mean?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:56 pm

Apparently not me. 8)

rwj
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:38 pm

:D Fresh english muffs....yummy !!

engmuf.jpg
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:58 pm

[quote="Mike Bowlin"]:D Fresh english muffs....yummy !!

That looks good, Mike. Are they hard to make?
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:17 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:
Mike Bowlin wrote::D Fresh english muffs....yummy !!

That looks good, Mike. Are they hard to make?

They are not hard to make considering you 'cook' them in an electric skillet in rings.... There is a very specific process to it but the results will prevent you from supermarket purchases forever. Let me do some typing and I will post the recipe and process. Mike
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:37 pm

Hooray! Men who enjoy baking! :)

Mike, I make sourdough English muffins. The recipe I use cuts the dough with a large ring, and then griddles them, then finishes them off in the oven. I don't get nearly as much rise as you do, so I'll be interested to know how you do it - thanks!

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike Bowlin » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:20 pm

celia wrote:Hooray! Men who enjoy baking! :)

Mike, I make sourdough English muffins. The recipe I use cuts the dough with a large ring, and then griddles them, then finishes them off in the oven. I don't get nearly as much rise as you do, so I'll be interested to know how you do it - thanks!

Recipe is posted in this section titled english muffins. The extra rise is dry yeast which will normally produce more volume than sourdough. RE:Me who enjoy baking... I do not purchase any bread product from a supermarket. I bake Italian sourdough, various olive breads, tons of flat bread from chapati to naan to you name it. As soon as my new DCS is delivered I can get back to more bread baking, my Viking is down AGAIN !!
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:26 pm

celia wrote:Matt, at 15, made his first batch of brownies yesterday. I told him there were too many men who were scared of baking, and my son wasn't going to be one of them! He made them himself, from scratch, with instruction.

Celia, tell your son to keep it up! I remember that when I was a boy, I learned to bake cakes and pies from my Mom and Grandmom, and at age 16, I made my Mom a german chocolate cake for her birthday - entirely from scratch, filling and all. She was pleased at the result.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:40 pm

Today's breakfast!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:56 pm

Yummmm, Linda.
I love popovers and those look delish!
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:14 am

Thanks Robert! Linda, those look wonderful - what are popovers? We don't have them here - are they a sweet bread?

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:34 am

They're better. MUCH better. An eggy batter poured into muffin-shaped molds, it rises almost like a souffle. Light, airy, moist, and tender on the inside, crisp exterior. Man, oh man, I love those.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:22 pm

celia wrote:Thanks Robert! Linda, those look wonderful - what are popovers? We don't have them here - are they a sweet bread?

Celia, here's the recipe I am currently using with my modifications. Even though this recipe calls for sugar (which I leave out) they are not sweet. They are hollow inside - great with butter or whatever else you like on bread.

Popovers

Cooking spray
¾ cup bread flour
¾ cup 1% low-fat milk
½ cup egg substitute
1 TB sugar
1 TB vegetable oil
¼ tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Coat 6 popover cups heavily with cooking spray. Heat pans in oven for 2-3 minutes or until hot.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour and next 5 ingredients into a food processor. Process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl once.

Divide batter evenly among hot cups; bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees (do not remove popover cups from oven); bake an additional 15 minutes or until golden. Make a slit in top of each popover using a small sharp knife or scissors; bake 2 additional minutes. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings (serving size 1 popover).

Notes: I use skim milk, 2 large eggs and omit the sugar. I also don’t do the slitting and additional 2 minute baking.

I grew up eating these made from a simpler version of just 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk and 1 egg per half dozen. When we were visiting my Grandmother's place in Maine, they were baked in the oven of a wood stove.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:16 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:
celia wrote:Thanks Robert! Linda, those look wonderful - what are popovers? We don't have them here - are they a sweet bread?

Celia, here's the recipe I am currently using with my modifications. Even though this recipe calls for sugar (which I leave out) they are not sweet. They are hollow inside - great with butter or whatever else you like on bread.

Popovers

Cooking spray
¾ cup bread flour
¾ cup 1% low-fat milk
½ cup egg substitute
1 TB sugar
1 TB vegetable oil
¼ tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Coat 6 popover cups heavily with cooking spray. Heat pans in oven for 2-3 minutes or until hot.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour and next 5 ingredients into a food processor. Process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl once.

Divide batter evenly among hot cups; bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees (do not remove popover cups from oven); bake an additional 15 minutes or until golden. Make a slit in top of each popover using a small sharp knife or scissors; bake 2 additional minutes. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings (serving size 1 popover).

Notes: I use skim milk, 2 large eggs and omit the sugar. I also don’t do the slitting and additional 2 minute baking.

I grew up eating these made from a simpler version of just 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk and 1 egg per half dozen. When we were visiting my Grandmother's place in Maine, they were baked in the oven of a wood stove.

Believe it or not, I've never had a popover. From your recipe, though, these look and sound like what I recognize as Yorkshire Pudding but without the meat grease. Is that somewhat the case?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:43 pm

Jenise wrote:Believe it or not, I've never had a popover. From your recipe, though, these look and sound like what I recognize as Yorkshire Pudding but without the meat grease. Is that somewhat the case?

Jenise, I would guess popovers to be similar to YP, but more airy. And as you said nearly greaseless unlike YP, which I also love. At Christmas I usually do a Prime rib roast on the Kamado, and I catch the drippings and we make the YP by request of out S-I-L.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Michelle Nordell

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:27 am

Central Israel

by Michelle Nordell » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:27 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am from Rogov's site and I write a foodblog called Baroness Tapuzina. Here are couple of things I made:

Whole Wheat Seed Bread

Cherry Clafoutis

Look forward to adding more photos.

Michelle
My food blog: Baroness Tapuzina
PreviousNext