Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Post Your Food Photos !

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Post Your Food Photos !

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:38 pm

Welcome, Michelle!

Oh, I love love love cherry clafouti. I haven't made nearly enough this year either. Hmmm.....
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:52 pm

Welcome Michelle!

Linda, thanks, I'm going to try these! Do you think I can get away with using a muffin tin?
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:55 pm

Hey Michelle,
Is that a "Fire and Light" dish I see under your cherry clafouti?
no avatar
User

Michelle Nordell

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:27 am

Central Israel

by Michelle Nordell » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:05 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Hey Michelle,
Is that a "Fire and Light" dish I see under your cherry clafouti?

I am not sure if it is that exact brand, but they are definitely similar. My husband bought these dishes several years before we met.
My food blog: Baroness Tapuzina
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:25 am

celia wrote:Welcome Michelle!

Linda, thanks, I'm going to try these! Do you think I can get away with using a muffin tin?

I've only recently started using a specific popover pan. We always used just a muffin pan. Growing up they almost always "popped" when Mom made them. When I tried doing it the exact same way, they didn't pop. I thought maybe it was my oven and tried different methods. Sometimes they popped - sometimes they didn't, so don't be disappointed if they don't. Using this recipe and pan, they almost always pop. Give it a go and let us know how they turn out and how you like them.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:04 am

A half a pound of tupenny rice,
A half a pound of treacle.
Mix it up and make it nice,
Pop! Goes the weasel.

popover 002.jpg

popover 006.jpg

Ok, the paper liners were a mistake, but the canola oil spray burnt in the oven. So at the last minute, I tipped out the burnt oil, and stuffed in paper liners, then poured in the mix. They were quite delicious, nonetheless, and I think they would be nice with cheese. We had them with jam, which was also nice. They're like a cross between choux pastry and yorkshire pudding!

Thanks Linda! It was nice to try something new.. :)

Celia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:42 am

Celia, those look great! They popped very nicely. I'm glad enjoyed them. It makes me wish I had time for some this morning.
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

by Ben Rotter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:20 am

Szechuan chicken with Rhubarb wine (the Oxidised).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:02 am

The onion rings at Mustard's Grill in Yountville, CA. They rock. And I am now on a quest to duplicate them.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:58 pm

Ben, nice to see you! We were talking about you in chat the other day, and wondering how you were. Great photo!

Cynthia, they look delicious. Not healthy, but delicious. ;)

Hey, I have a batter recipe from a friend who used to be head chef at a Thai restaurant - it's very very light, and might work with your onion rings. The various flours should be available in Asian supermarkets.

Batter :

100g rice flour
100g glutinous rice flour
100g tapioca flour
200ml soda water

Sift all flours into a bowl, then slowly whisk in soda water to make a thick creamy consistency.

Dust item in extra tapioca flour first, then dip in batter, then deepfry.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Wow...everyone's photos are just awesome. They are making me so hungry!

Celia...thanks for that onion rings batter recipe. This looks like a great batter to make for my son. Just one Q, what's "glutinous rice flour". I don't think we have that here in the US. Is it just rice flour with additional rice gluten?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:51 pm

It's made from a short grain rice called "glutinous rice." Most Asian groceries carry it.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:55 pm

Celia, that's almost exactly what I was going to try first.... while eating them I was thinking "hmmm..... rice flour..... maybe some tapioca flour too......"

Thanks for the confirmation! :D
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:18 pm

Thanks Stuart. I will have to check it out.

I make a very similar batter to Celia's for fried fish. It tastes great but doesn't usually stick to the fish. Even when I dredge the fish beforehand in rice flour, it still loses it's coating. I wonder if the "glutinous flour" will make a difference.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:10 pm

Maria, what is your son allergic/intolerant to? FWIW, glutinous rice flour apparently doesn't have any gluten. Glutinous rice is one of my favourite ingredients, although I suspect it would be very high GI. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutinous_rice

The batter works well - we tried it with softshell crab.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:10 am

We made another batch of rhubarb and raspberry jam this weekend (scored a box of rhubarb at the markets), and then used the jam to make other things.

Rhubarb and raspberry hazelnut friands :

Jam tart :

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:27 am

WOW...Celia, that tart and those friands look incredible. I really shouldn't look at this thread when I am hungry!

My son is allergic to wheat, dairy, eggs, nuts, peanuts and seeds. He has no problem with other forms of gluten or any form of rice, luckily. I will see if our Asian Farmer's market has some. Thanks again for the recipe.
no avatar
User

Michelle Nordell

Rank

Wine geek

Central Israel

by Michelle Nordell » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:33 am

Trout stuffed with Dried Apricots and Pistachios

Some may think this is a strange combination, but it is delicious.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:15 pm

Beautiful looking fish, Michelle!

Maria, that's a tricky combo. I'll watch out for recipes for you. I assume you can use egg substitute in recipes? And which nuts is he allergic to? Our son can eat peanuts, almonds and hazelnuts, but not any others. How were you going to make those flourless pb cookies - would you sub the peanut butter for another nut butter?

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:39 pm

Celia,

Yes, it's very tricky...although, I have been doing it now for 2 1/2 yrs so, it's not too bad. For the eggs, we used an egg substitute called EnerG Egg Replacer, which is basically leavening agents. It works well in applications that require lift, like baking...but not so much for things like dredging or binding (ie, meatballs). Anthony was only allergic to peanuts in the past, but we just had him retested and he is also now allergic to hazelnuts and coconuts. We avoid nuts altogether. For the peanut butter cookies, I would used Soy nut butter instead of peanut butter, which I often do. It's an ok substitute, especially in baking. If you have any gluten-free recipes you like, let me know. I am pretty good at finding a suitable substitute for other ingredients. Thnx Celia!

Michelle,

That fish looks amazing! I would love to see a photo of the finished product. The combination sounds delicious!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:57 pm

Duane J wrote:A little variation on a theme. I added walnuts and blueberries to my sourdough recipe.

The walnuts give the bread the purplish color. Taste test tomorrow at work to see if anyone likes it.

Now, I would have thought the blueberries gave the bread a purple tinge. Beautiful bread!
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:01 pm

Very beautiful bread!! :)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:18 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:
Duane J wrote:A little variation on a theme. I added walnuts and blueberries to my sourdough recipe.

The walnuts give the bread the purplish color. Taste test tomorrow at work to see if anyone likes it.

Now, I would have thought the blueberries gave the bread a purple tinge. Beautiful bread!

In the slice you can see only three blueberries but you can see the walnuts all over the place. I need to make this bread again but I'm waiting for dried cranberries to come in to use this time. The bread tastes great also.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that is not what ships were made for.
no avatar
User

Michelle Nordell

Rank

Wine geek

Central Israel

by Michelle Nordell » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:39 am

Maria Samms wrote:Celia,

Michelle,

That fish looks amazing! I would love to see a photo of the finished product. The combination sounds delicious!

Click on the link under the picture and you will see the "after" photo. It is not as beautiful, but it tastes great.
PreviousNext