Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Post Your Food Photos !

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

Re: Post Your Food Photos !

by Mike Bowlin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:50 am

celia wrote:Robin recently told me that this new forum is Web 2.0, which means it has lots of room for photos, video clips etc. I thought it might be nice to start a thread similar to Cynthia's Life in Pictures one, only based around food, where we could post food photos ? Sometimes it's fun to take pretty pictures, but too laborious to have to write up a recipe, so if that's the case, post your pictures here. Grab your cameras, friends, and show us what's happening in your kitchens ! :D

bread.jpg

Nice SD loaf. YOu asked the other day in chat if I use sourdough. I bake sourdough using a 6 year old starter from KArthur. My loaves are standard 5 cup long loaves using just that starter, hi gluten bread flour, water and kosher salt. In the winter if the rooms are all chilled I will sometimes use malt to help the rise. I feed the starter once a day for 3 days prior to making a biga with 2 cups of flour and 1 cup of starter the day before I bake. I keep the leftover starter in refer and it lasts forever provided I use it once in awhile and I do because we eat bread often. The rise is long and slow but not overnight, yet. I plan to start that type of rise once we get the new appliances due this week. I have been baking bread for a very long time and refuse to purchase bakery products unless we are away from home. Robin bakes the sweet side in the kitchen and my favs are biscotti, mollasses rum cookies and anything she bakes that contains chocolate. If the cutting board had a chocolate center, I would eat it.

Saw your web site. Very nice and good pics. Keep the camera busy, we need more pics here. I just finished both my sites which needed revisions. I will add the address here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mm4570
http://home.earthlink.net/~tulipano365

See you again in chat soon.
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:12 pm

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:51 am

Whole Wheat Sourdough Grape Harvest Focaccia

It taste really great. You get the sweetness of the grapes followed up by the tangy sourdough.
A ship is safe in the harbor but that is not what ships were made for.
no avatar
User

EY Han

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:27 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by EY Han » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:41 pm

Duane J wrote:Whole Wheat Sourdough Grape Harvest Focaccia
It taste really great. You get the sweetness of the grapes followed up by the tangy sourdough.

Duane, I would love to get a recipe for that mouth sizzling and eye catching Focaccia!

Best wishes,
E.Y.
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:57 am

Sourdough Starter
Stiff levain 50 grams
Whole Wheat Flour 115 grams
Water 92 grams
This makes a starter that is 80% hydration. I mix it all together the night before and time it so that it is added to the dough after 14 hours. This can change depending on your temprature.

The Dough
Fresh ground Red Winter Wheat 500 grams
Water 400 grams
Salt 10 grams
Sourdough starter from above 100 grams
I grind the wheat in the mourning then put it in the mixer with the water. Mix it up until the foul is a shaggy mess. Let this sit for four hours. Add the sourdough starter and the salt. Put the left over starter back in the refrigerator to use on your next bread. Mix until you can windowpane the dough. Put the dough into an oiled bowl and let it bulk ferment until it doubles in size then put it into the refrigerator over night. The next day line a medium pizza pan with parchment paper and turn the dough out on to it. Pat the dough out until it is evenly over the whole pan. Apply olive oil all over the top of the dough then dimple the top with your finger tips. Press in the grapes into the dough and sprinkle the top with chopped rosemary and course salt. Let the dough rise until it is sticking up over the edge of the pan. Bake at 460° for 20 minutes by sliding the parchment paper directly onto a pizza stone. Cool for 20 minutes then cut and eat.

Note: I have never seen a focaccia until I baked one two weeks ago. I couldn't find a recipe for a whole wheat sourdough focaccia so I made one up. I got the idea for the grapes from the book "Local Breads"

If you have no idea what I doing or talking about just ask. I can go into more details if needed.
no avatar
User

EY Han

Rank

Ultra geek

Jerusalem, Israel

by EY Han » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:06 am

Thanks so much for promptly responding!! I look forward to trying this out as early as next week

Best wishes,
E.Y.
no avatar
User

EY Han

Rank

Ultra geek

Jerusalem, Israel

by EY Han » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:22 pm

2.3 KG of Korean Fire Meat (Buhl Gohgeeh) using a new recipe for the first time
IMG_0010_2 copy.jpg

This was taken at least a couple hours before it was served on Friday night. My normal recipe uses a secret ingredient, which isn't necessarily found in the U.S.A. but here in Israel I use and DRINK it all the time ;)
This new recipe for the meat marinade called for 3-4 more sugar (1/2 white, 1/2 brown) and 3-5 times more sesame oil (when frying instead of grilling, no additional oil needs to be applied to the pan). I normally like to use Durkee Ground Black Pepper, but I forgot to bring it with me to cook at my friend's house…

Best wishes,
E.Y.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:26 pm

Duane, E.Y., great photos! E.Y., I love Korean food, but I've never tried to make it at home...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:00 pm

celia wrote:Duane, E.Y., great photos!

Celia you trying to encourage me to post more pictures?
I'm finally getting the sourdough flavor to where I want it to be. :) It tastes great!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:04 pm

I use and DRINK it all the time

OK, I give up, what is it? Sabra?
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:51 pm

You go, Duane!! Your breads look better (if that's possible) with every picture you post! I love the leaf cuts on this one. Are we going to get a crumbshot too? :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:43 pm

celia wrote:You go, Duane!! Your breads look better (if that's possible) with every picture you post! I love the leaf cuts on this one. Are we going to get a crumbshot too? :)

I thought the exact same thing when I saw that pic. Duane, your practice is really starting to show. Great loaf!

Is a crumbshot the baking equivalent of the "money shot"? :shock:

rwj
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:00 pm

Oh dear. Am I about to embarrass myself again, Cowboy? ;) To me, crumbshot is a shot of the crumb - ie. loaf cut in half.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Duane J

Rank

Ultra geek

Paso Robles, CA

by Duane J » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:47 pm

Thanks to both of you for such kind words. It is hard getting the hang of baking bread when you only do it once a week. Here is the picture that you wanted to see.

I made this at the same time as the focaccia. The dough was just divided in two. Same dough just two very different forms.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:11 am

Duane, you have to be happy with the structure of your crumb! It looks great! I always think successful breadmaking is 20% recipe and 80% technique and practice, which is why it's helpful to take photos, just so we can keep some track of what works and what doesn't.

Today, we had some cream that was near it's expiration date, so we made butter (fun, but the kitchen is an oily, sticky mess). We managed to get 200g butter - that's nearly enough for a batch of cookies! :)

butter 001.jpg

We also made apple paste - my version of quince paste (a cheaper alternative for school lunches). This was surprisingly easy and rewarding to do. I already had apple butter made, but I guess you could use commercial apple butter (or even apple sauce, if you were happy to sweeten it). I mixed one jar plus the leftovers of two open jars of my apple butter (which is the consistency of a thick sweet applesauce) with some lemon juice, and then put the whole lot into a Le Creuset pan, and put it into the oven at 150C (300F) for just over two hours, stirring every half an hour or so. The whole thing will get very dark and sticky, and a skin will form on the top, which you can just keep stirring in. Then pour the hot paste into a container, where it will set hard enough to slice. We use this in sandwiches - it's especially good with cheese and ham - but it also makes a nice addition to a cheese plate.

butter 004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Michelle Nordell

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:27 am

Central Israel

by Michelle Nordell » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:51 am

My husband made one of his mother's signature dishes....Paprikáscsirke

My food blog: Baroness Tapuzina
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:34 am

I started some rye/maple bread this AM. Here's the dough doing its first rise:
rye dough.jpg
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:41 pm

celia wrote:Oh dear. Am I about to embarrass myself again, Cowboy? ;)

I'll just let sleeping dogs lie...this time.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:41 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I started some rye/maple bread this AM. Here's the dough doing its first rise:
rye dough.jpg

David, that dough is absolutely gorgeous!

rwj
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Tilt/Shift lenses for 35 mm format cameras

by Greg H » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:58 pm

Anyone using this type of lenses on their 35 mm type digital cameras to allow greater flexibility in shooting food?

G
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

Re: Tilt/Shift lenses for 35 mm format cameras

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:18 pm

Greg Hollis wrote:Anyone using this type of lenses on their 35 mm type digital cameras to allow greater flexibility in shooting food?

G

What type? I'm using a quick point & shoot for easy stuff.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:20 pm

The risen loaf before baking:
dough in pan.jpg

After baking:
finished loaf.jpg

Time for yummy sandwiches!
no avatar
User

Mike Bowlin

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:57 am

by Mike Bowlin » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:00 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
finished loaf.jpg

Time for yummy sandwiches!

Nice bread, I can smell it.

Here is my bake for the day. SD.
sdough.jpg
Thanks,
Mike
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Re: Tilt/Shift lenses for 35 mm format cameras

by Greg H » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:13 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Greg Hollis wrote:Anyone using this type of lenses on their 35 mm type digital cameras to allow greater flexibility in shooting food?

G

What type? I'm using a quick point & shoot for easy stuff.

Tilt/shift lenses. I am intrigued by them, but for my Nikon rig, they are pretty costly.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:29 pm

DB, your bread ROCKS! Yours too, Mike! David, did you use yeast or a sourdough starter? Ooooh, lots of bread photos, that's so cool..

Baroness Tapuzina, your blog is a great read, and the chicken paprika looks delicious! :D

PS. Greg, I'm using a point and shoot as well, although I will balance it on different bits of kitchenware if I want to angle a shot. So I have my milk jug tripod, and my breadbox tripod, and my cereal box tripod.. ;)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
PreviousNext