Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Sea Bean Salad

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

RCP: Sea Bean Salad

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:06 am

1/2 lb sea beans
2 kumquats
1 tbs black sesame seeds, toasted
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbs mirin
1 tsp rice wine vinegar

Really more of a description than a recipe. Sea beans (also known as glasswort) resemble little branched haricots verts and have the taste of... the sea.

Soak the beans in an excess of water for at least 3 hours. Remove any tough or woody parts at the root. Blanch for three minutes, refresh in ice water, then drain.

Sliver the kumquats, removing any seeds.

Toss the drained beans, kumquat slivers, sesame seeds, and dressing ingredients together, then adjust seasoning (the quantities I give are approximate- I'm a "by eye" sort of cook). Allow to marinate for 10 minutes, then toss again and plate.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Sea Bean Salad

by Jenise » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:26 pm

Aha! So you soak them to leech out the heavy salt flavor. I've tasted them raw at the market but have never bought any because I didn't know how to use them. Didn't dawn on me to just soak them.

Sounds good. They're a beautiful vegetable--are they part of the kelp family?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: RCP: Sea Bean Salad

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:24 pm

No, it's actually a succulent. I had always passed them by, but decided to play with them a bit. We hit on the idea of the kumquat to temper the saltiness that still remains after soaking. Worked, too.