Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

White truffle oil: still hot or tired trend?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

White truffle oil: still hot or tired trend?

by Jenise » Mon May 08, 2006 2:23 pm

A friend--who is a trained, working chef but who doesn't neccessarily keep up with what's going on outside our area--and I had an interesting discussion about this ingredient this weekend. Talking about restaurant menus in places like San Francisco and New York, he says white truffle oil is still 'hot'. I said "no, it's yesterday. It's a useful seasoning ingredient but adding it to a dish doesn't automatically sell covers the way it used to--all the foodies have it at home now."

Who's right?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

Re: White truffle oil: still hot or tired trend?

by Barb Freda » Mon May 08, 2006 3:12 pm

To anyone who's been eating out on a regular basis? Old news. I think my brother brought this back from Italy for me more than 10 years ago.

I'm still watching Top Chef, and in the last episode, the finalists cooked for Napa Chefs. One of the best chefs used truffle oil, and one of their criticisms--one of their FIRST criticisms--was that the oil was way too yesterday.

B
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon May 08, 2006 3:27 pm

Used to see it featured a lot on menus here. But I can't recall the last time I saw it specifically touted.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 09, 2006 11:55 am

Barb Freda wrote:I'm still watching Top Chef, and in the last episode, the finalists cooked for Napa Chefs. One of the best chefs used truffle oil, and one of their criticisms--one of their FIRST criticisms--was that the oil was way too yesterday.

B

Thanks for the confirmation. I was quite surprised that my friend was so convinced otherwise.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov