WTN: 1983 Quinta da Bacalhoa (Portugal)

This forum will be used as a read-only archive for older WTN posts and other archival material from The Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: 1983 Quinta da Bacalhoa (Portugal)

Postby Ian Sutton » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:22 pm

I believe this is a varietal Cabernet Sauvignon (though the website has it as currently being a Cab/Merlot blend). So I might be cheating a little on the Bdx 'blend' focus :oops:

Anyway, to the batnote! ( :oops: errm I mean the tasting note)

1983 Bacalhôa Vinhos de Portugal Vinho Regional Terras do Sado Quinta da Bacalhôa - Portugal, Terras do Sado, Vinho Regional Terras do Sado (11/23/2009)
Still a surprisingly youthful colour, yet of moderate depth.

On the nose, quite uplifting cherry/raspberry & blackcurrant cordial, with a pleasant hint of nettle/green pepper & smokiness.

The palate is as light as expected from the intensity of the colour, cherry/raspberry again to the fore, but blackcurrant in tight support. The acidity is vibrant without being overpowering, no tannins and the finish somewhat short. The net result is somewhere between a good 'lunchtime' claret and a good (but not prestige) Sangiovese based wine. Certainly enjoyable, but oddly not showing as much aged interest (or issues!) as you might expect.
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Re: WTN: 1983 Quinta da Bacalhoa (Portugal)

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Ian, I used to find Bacalhoa when visiting La Vigneronne in London. Never seen here in the colony!
Yesterday I came across the Livio Felluga Vertigo, a blend of CS/Merlot. $31 Cdn. Any comment as I think you know Italy rather well?!!
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Re: WTN: 1983 Quinta da Bacalhoa (Portugal)

Postby Ian Sutton » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:45 pm

Bob
Not as well as I'd like!
Felluga is a well-regarded winery, but I've not tasted any reds from them before (and indeed I'm still yet to find a red from this region that really lights my enthusiasm - though I'm sure such wines exist).

FWIW the Vertigo isn't listed in my preferred 'DueMilaVini' (2008) but the old warhorse Gambero Rosso gave the 2003 'two glasses' (p.s. this is different to Birger, who is 'two pours' - a subtle but significant difference :wink: ).

Will be interested in your views on it if you take the plunge.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Return to WTN Archives