2000 Ch. du Tertre

This forum will be used as a read-only archive for older WTN posts and other archival material from The Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

2000 Ch. du Tertre

Postby Mark Lipton » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:41 pm

[Since I had suggested this topic, I felt compelled to actually contribute something to the discussion]

With tonight's dinner of broiled lamb, Jean entreated me to find a good lamb wine. What better choice with lamb than Bordeaux? So, off to find a good example in the cellar. One ulterior motive was Jean's recent observation that her recent Bordeaux experiences had failed to excite her. I decided to open something that would be better than just "all right." What I came back with was:

2000 Ch. du Tertre Margaux
nose: pencil lead, red/black plummy fruit, herbal, sous bois
palate: resolved tannins, firm backbone, medium body, fairly primary

This wine came from a mixed case of '00s we purchased with a group some years ago. Still fairly young, the wine was nonetheless reasonably mature and very enjoyable. Jean loved the wine, finding it "meaty" as well as hugely fruity. Fairly traditional in nature, this wine went splendidly with the lamb. I am glad that we have more of it in the cellar, and I plan to wait on the remaining bottles for quite a while
longer.

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist

Re: 2000 Ch. du Tertre

Postby David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:56 am

Thanks for the note. A friend of mine bought a lot of 2000 du Tertre, so I get to taste it now and again. I wish I had bought some, as I find it to be more traditionally Bordeaxu than some. Certainly it's 2000 in style (hence the hugely fruity), but there is nothing of a caricature about it.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
David M. Bueker
Riesling Guru

Postby Salil » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:08 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Thanks for the note. A friend of mine bought a lot of 2000 du Tertre, so I get to taste it now and again. I wish I had bought some, as I find it to be more traditionally Bordeaxu than some.

I have had very little du Tertre, but I remember really liking the '01 a couple of years back - found it very balanced, elegant and polished and typical of what I would want/expect from a Margaux.
Salil
Franc de Pied

Postby wrcstl » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:45 pm

I had this on Saturday night and posted a TN on the regular page. Played with it for at least an hour and could not coax much out. This wine needed lots more bottle age, IMHO.
Walt
wrcstl
Wine guru

Return to WTN Archives