Where to find smoked goose breast?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Where to find smoked goose breast?

Postby Joel D Parker » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:13 am

Hi Daniel,

I'm being a nudnik today on the wine side, so I thought I would annoy you on the culinary side as well. You often mention smoked goose breast as an alternative to bacon in recipes, and indeed, I had it on a hamburger the other day and really liked it. I'm not aware of any place in central Tel Aviv that sells fresh raw smoked goose breast though. Do you have any suggestions? (I don't have a car, but do commute to Ramat Aviv often, if there's a place there.) It doesn't necessarily have to be kosher, but I would assume that it would be, since most non-kosher butchers would just carry normal bacon. Also, I haven't seen turkey bacon in Israel, but my mother cooks with that in the States sometimes.

Best,

Joel
Joel D Parker
Wine guru

Re: Where to find smoked goose breast?

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:47 am

Joel, Hi.....

"He's not heavy, he's my brother".....you ain't no nudnick at all.

Best bets for smoked goose breast that I know in Tel Aviv are delicatessen shops (e.g. Tiv Ta'am in the City, and the small shop at Rehov Basel 32 or 34, don't recall precisely); or non-kosher butcher shops (e.g. Basari). Probably available at quite a few of the city's small kosher butcher shops but if the truth be told I'm not exactly familiar with those that are kosher.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Where to find smoked goose breast?

Postby Joel D Parker » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks Daniel, I'll start looking and report back when I 'find me a find, catch me a catch' :wink:
Joel D Parker
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner