Dunkin' Donuts Goes All Out For The Average Joe

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Dunkin' Donuts Goes All Out For The Average Joe

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:30 pm

If you've ever wondered what Dunkin' Donuts has in common with Sarah Palin, check out the article at
http://www.slashfood.com/2011/01/06/dun ... od00000067

Reading this may not make us more politically savvy but it should make us either titter or giggle a bit.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Dunkin' Donuts Goes All Out For The Average Joe

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:14 am

After posting the above, I could not resist checking this morning to see what I wrote when Dunkin' Donuts opened its first branch in Israel in 1999, at that time the company promising that within two years at least 60 branches would follow. In my review I predicted that the chain would not succeed, that not so much because of their doughnuts but because of their coffee. The 60 branches never materialized and by the time two years had passed those few that had opened had folded up their tents, retreating in the wee hours of the morning to the perhaps more fertile ground of the U.S.A.

There is a good chance that the doughnuts of the huge, multi-national Dunkin' Donuts chain have more air, more sugar and less pretensions than any other doughnuts in the world. That does not stop them from being as adored by policemen, fire-fighters and blue collar workers as by college students, poets and food critics.

A few hints are probably in order for those who have not previously encountered the Dunkin' Donuts) phenomenon in America. No matter what names or colors are given to the various glazed doughnuts, for example, it is good to know that each of the glazes is so loaded with sugar that they all taste exactly the same. … Those who value different flavors will do well to order the filled doughnuts, for even though the fillings are equally loaded with sugar they do have discernible flavors. …Finally, keep in mind that while plain (that is to say unglazed and unfilled) doughnuts are ideal for dunking (American slang for dipping) into one's cup of American coffee, only a fool would spoil his doughnut by dipping a glazed or filled version into a cup of any hot beverage.

I acknowledge that Dunkin' Donuts are probably the junk food par excellence. That does not stop me, at least from time to time (generally at between 3 – 4 in the morning), from enjoying them. My personal favorites are those doughnuts filled with vanilla cream, chocolate cream, Boston cream and strawberry jam.

…As to the coffee served at those Dunkin' Donuts that I have visited, that of the diluted, absolutely flavorless drip-filter kind so beloved throughout the United States, the less said the better. My guess is that within two years Dunkin' Donuts, like the famed Omar of myth will fold up its tent and vanish in the night.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner