Chinatown in Israel

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Chinatown in Israel

Postby MarkC » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:02 pm

For all those who have despaired at finding a real Chinatown-style Chinese restaurant in Israel, I stumbled across one for the first time in Jerusalem, called Mandarin. Compared to the handful of outdated Tel Aviv establishments whose bland stir-fries hardly resemble Chinese food, this place is a real mcCoy. It was established all the way back in 1958, and the decor looks as though it hasn't been changed since. However, the staff were all Chinese, and there was a large group of Asian tourists dining there with us. This is circa 1960's style cooking, with heavy, starch-thickened sauces, but the portions are generous and the food surprisingly good. Not like the best you'll find in New York or San Francisco, but if you're pining for real Chinatown fare, in pleasantly faded, retro-Chinatown surroundings, this is the place. Now if they only served moo shoo pork...
MarkC
Wine geek

Re: Chinatown in Israel

Postby David H » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:22 pm

I remember eating at the Mandarin in the early 60s of the last century (decades before Aharoni began to popularize Chinese-style food in Israel). We (wife and I) thought it was great then too. I'm glad to hear that it's still worth a visit!
Birthdays are nature’s way of telling us to eat more cake. --
Anon.
David H
Wine geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:02 pm

I too recall The Mandarin which has always reminded me of what was said to be "Chinese dining" in Boro Park in the late 1940's and early '50s. None of which adds any reality to true Chinese dining but can be great fun nevertheless.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Richard Tasgal » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:46 am

HaChoma HaSinit (on Mikve Yisrael St., in Tel Aviv), has roughly the feel of a Chinatown restaurant to me (or had -- it's been a number of years since I last ate there). I thought it was a great relaxing place to get some ravioli, buns, picked vegetables, and a pot of tea. The main courses, though, did not seem very good.

Rich Tasgal
Beer-Sheva (but formerly within a short walking distance of the restaurant)
Richard Tasgal
Wine geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner