The World's Hottest Hot Pepper?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

The World's Hottest Hot Pepper?

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:57 pm

Sent to me by my most faithful of correspondents....

It took an Englishman (of all things) to create what may be the hottest hot pepper on the planet. See the article at The Register at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/09/hottest_chilli/

Interesting because more than the pepper itself the article explains the Scoville scale by which "heat" is measured.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: The World's Hottest Hot Pepper?

Postby Doug Z » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:51 pm

and what better place then to quash the common myth that hot peppers increase hemorrhoidal pain....

from an article in Diseases of the Colon and Rectum 2006.

Red hot chili pepper and hemorrhoids: the explosion of a myth: results of a prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover trial.
Altomare DF, Rinaldi M, La Torre F, Scardigno D, Roveran A, Canuti S, Morea G, Spazzafumo L.

Dis Colon Rectum. 2006 Jul;49(7):1018-23.

Department of Emergency and Organ Transplantation, General Surgery and Liver Transplantation Units, University of Bari, Bari, Italy. altomare@clichiru.uniba.it

Abstract
PURPOSE: Spicy foods are appreciated by a large part of the world population but have been blamed for causing hemorrhoids or exacerbating their symptoms, although no epidemiologic studies have been performed supporting this hypothesis. In this double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, crossover trial, we have studied the effects of a single dose of red hot chili pepper on the hemorrhoidal symptoms.

METHODS: Fifty patients with second-degree and third-degree symptomatic hemorrhoids were randomly assigned to take a capsule containing red hot chili powder or placebo during lunch, scoring five hemorrhoidal symptoms (bleeding, swelling, pain, itching, and burning) on a visual analog scale. After one week, crossover treatment was administered according to the same methodology. Other treatments and foods potentially related with anorectal symptoms were discontinued during the study periods.

RESULTS: Patients assigned low scores to their hemorrhoidal symptoms before the study and the scores remained unchanged during the 48 hours after both placebo and chili pepper treatment, the latter showing no statistically significant effects.

CONCLUSIONS: There is no scientific evidence that a spicy meal based on red hot chili pepper may worsen hemorrhoidal symptoms and, therefore, there is no reason to prevent these patients from occasionally enjoying a spicy dish if they so wish.
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Doug, Hi...

One hates to be a methodological fuss-budget but a study on a limited group with a single dose has very little chance of being replicable. More important, it says nothing at all about the impact of long-term ingestion of the blessed hot peppers.

As to me and my hemorrhoids or lack thereof....no comment whatsoever. I will, however, say that after dining on my chile don't even dream of tasting wine for the next 48 hours.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Doug Z » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:50 pm

interestingly, in the ny times today..

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/science/21peppers.html

“Bite me, Bambi.” :lol: :lol:
"I don't know much about classical music. For years I thought the Goldberg Variations were something Mr. and Mrs. Goldberg did on their wedding night." Woody Allen
Doug Z
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner