What is your favorite resturaunt in NYC. K

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

What is your favorite resturaunt in NYC. K

Postby David L » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:39 pm

I am interested in hearing what the forum members have to say about the Kosher dining scene in NYC. What is your favorite restaurant and what is your favorite dish? Hopefully this can encourage some members to try different restaurants and experiment with various dishes.

I Have 2. Abigails and Les Marias. At Abigails I always get the Brazilian rib eye. It is to die for! At Les Marias you cant go wrong with any of the steaks on the menu.

Happy Eating,

David
David L
Wine geek
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:40 pm
Location: Teaneck, NJ

Re: What is your favorite resturaunt in NYC. K

Postby Mike BG » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:53 pm

Prime Grill, Solo and Mike's Bistro. I couldn't say which I like best, as they are all different and each has their own specialities.
Mike BG
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 pm
Location: Maale Adumim, Israel

Re: What is your favorite resturaunt in NYC. K

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:40 pm

Until I publish my report on what I consider the best kosher restaurants of New York and the rest of the world (a week before Rosh haShannah), let it suffice to say that I still occasionally dream not only of "kosher" but "Jewish" restaurants and the two places that call up the greatest sense of nostalgia are "Isaac Gellis' Delicatessen" and "Nathan's Original" in Coney Island.

At the same location from just before the American Civil War until the late 1950's, indeed, days of your, Isaac Gellis was located indeed on Essex Street (not far from Delancey). The frankfurters, the "specials" (a kosher version of knockwurst) ,the hot pastrami, hot or cold corned beef, the daily made oven-baked beans, the sauerkraut, the cholent, the kishke, the coleslaw, the sour and half-sour pickles............. tears of joy!!!!!!! And of course, tears of sadness for the passing of such a landmark.

As to Nathan's Famous - never quite kosher but very, very Jewish (despite the lobster rolls), what can I say other than that I remain a member of that club that long felt that the best time to visit Nathan's in Coney Island was somewhere between two and four in the morning on the coldest night of the year.

Of course we are talking not of "Jewish food" but of the food of many places that happens to find itself kosher and excellent. French, Italian, Greek, Arabic....

Best
Rogov
User avatar
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon
 
Posts: 12964
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:10 am
Location: Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: What is your favorite resturaunt in NYC. K

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:13 pm

Easily Solo and Mike's Bistro. Steaks and sushi at Prime Grill are pretty good but service, ambiance and the rest of their menu are beyond mediocre.
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm
Location: NYC

Re: What is your favorite resturaunt in NYC. K

Postby Shlomo R » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:20 pm

Mike's Bistro. I've enjoyed other places - Les Marais makes good steak, Abigail's is nice, but when my wife and I go out to eat in Manhattan, we go to Mike's. With regard to favorite dishes, when we go to Mike's we always order gnocchi. We even had it for dessert once.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

Re: What is your favorite resturaunt in NYC. K

Postby Mike BG » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Shlomo R wrote:Mike's Bistro. I've enjoyed other places - Les Marais makes good steak, Abigail's is nice, but when my wife and I go out to eat in Manhattan, we go to Mike's. With regard to favorite dishes, when we go to Mike's we always order gnocchi. We even had it for dessert once.

The last time we went to Mike's we took guests and ordered the Chef's tasting menu. It was not only excellent, but a totally 'fun' experience!
Mike BG
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:25 pm
Location: Maale Adumim, Israel

Re: What is your favorite resturaunt in NYC. K

Postby David L » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Mike BG wrote:
Shlomo R wrote:Mike's Bistro. I've enjoyed other places - Les Marais makes good steak, Abigail's is nice, but when my wife and I go out to eat in Manhattan, we go to Mike's. With regard to favorite dishes, when we go to Mike's we always order gnocchi. We even had it for dessert once.

The last time we went to Mike's we took guests and ordered the Chef's tasting menu. It was not only excellent, but a totally 'fun' experience!


We went to Mike's once and got the chef tasting menu. I had to ask my wife to drive, I was so stuffed. That NEVER happens! :D
David L
Wine geek
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:40 pm
Location: Teaneck, NJ

Re: What is your favorite resturaunt in NYC. K

Postby Shlomo R » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:15 pm

David L wrote:
Mike BG wrote:
Shlomo R wrote:Mike's Bistro. I've enjoyed other places - Les Marais makes good steak, Abigail's is nice, but when my wife and I go out to eat in Manhattan, we go to Mike's. With regard to favorite dishes, when we go to Mike's we always order gnocchi. We even had it for dessert once.

The last time we went to Mike's we took guests and ordered the Chef's tasting menu. It was not only excellent, but a totally 'fun' experience!


We went to Mike's once and got the chef tasting menu. I had to ask my wife to drive, I was so stuffed. That NEVER happens! :D


We've done the tasting menu as well, but that of course turned into one of my wife's "long-suffering" stories. The occasion for the dinner out was our anniversary. Mike, being an old schoolmate (1st thru 12th grades), stopped by the table to chat. Five minutes later, my wife was alone at the table, and I was out back, in August evening heat, climbing up on top of the walk-in box to take a look at something Mike was concerned might be a structural issue (turned out it wasn't).
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

Re: What is your favorite resturaunt in NYC. K

Postby David Raccah » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:38 pm

Mike's, Abigails, Les Marias, and (not sure why no other on this one) Tevere (expensive, but nice).

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
User avatar
David Raccah
Wine guru
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: What is your favorite resturaunt in NYC. K

Postby Shlomo R » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:23 am

David Raccah wrote:Mike's, Abigails, Les Marias, and (not sure why no other on this one) Tevere (expensive, but nice).

David


The question seemed to ask for a single restaurant. I like both Tevere and its sister restaurant, Va Bene, although it's been a few years since I made it to either one.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

Re: What is your favorite resturaunt in NYC. K

Postby Robin Garr » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:15 am

Despite his ubiquitousness on Food Network, I've rarely had more enjoyable dining experiences in NYC than at Mario Batali's Babbo. You do have to bring money, though.
User avatar
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor
 
Posts: 16675
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY


Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests