Amusing Names for Various Dishes

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Amusing Names for Various Dishes

Postby Daniel Rogov » Thu May 27, 2010 4:04 pm

Sent to me by a friend who prefers to be credited not as one of my regular correspondents but as a somewhat curmudgeonly occasional correspondent* who has been consuming calories for quite eight decades, a list of dishes that carry somewhat amusing names. Worth perusing (and do not overlook the photos) at http://www.salon.com/food/francis_lam/2 ... eshow.html

Oh yes...I've found four errors in the article. Would be curious to know if others spot the errors and, of course, post them here. I'll hold to give others time to post their reactions.

Best
Rogov

*As a clue to the identity of the correspondent in question, he is the guy who first had me writing restaurant reviews in Israel.
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Amusing Names for Various Dishes

Postby David H » Fri May 28, 2010 12:43 am

Number 8 in the slideshow (the Mohrenkopf) looks convincingly like the Israeli Krembo. Can anyone confirm that they're the same thing? And if not, why not?
Birthdays are nature’s way of telling us to eat more cake. --
Anon.
David H
Wine geek

Postby Mike_F » Fri May 28, 2010 4:42 am

Not sure if this qualifies as an error, but "spaghetti puttanesca" should be pasta puttanesca. It also might be one of the few things you would actually want to eat from that list...
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Postby David H » Fri May 28, 2010 11:37 am

One oddly-named dish worth eating is the Turkish Kalınbudu Köfte -- Lady's Thighs meatballs. The name dates to the times when well-rounded ladies were much admired. Too bad it didn't make the list; I've eaten (and even made) them happily (the meatballs, that is).
Birthdays are nature’s way of telling us to eat more cake. --
Anon.
David H
Wine geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner