Emeril Lagase bananna cream pie

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Emeril Lagase bananna cream pie

Postby Jeff L » Tue May 04, 2010 11:15 am

In anticipation of the upcoming Jewish Holiday of Shavuot I wonder if anyone has ideas regarding a fabulous dessert. A few years back I made the famous Emeril's Bananna cream pie (which took me 2 days). It was fantastic but when I added up the calorie content and sliced the pie into 10 pieces, it was over 1000 calories a slice. Any ideas how to make this tasty but less of a diet killer?
Jeff L
Wine geek

Re: Emeril Lagase bananna cream pie

Postby Robert Reynolds » Wed May 05, 2010 12:01 am

Skip the heavy cream, for starters, or reduce it drastically. It is possible to make a cream pie filling using 2% milk, although whole mile works a little better. But it's been a few years since I made one, and it came from Southern Living.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Robert Reynolds
1000th member!

Re: Emeril Lagase bananna cream pie

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed May 05, 2010 3:50 am

Changes to the recipe will yield something edible but the question remains as to why anyone would want to eat it. With all due respect, if banana cream pie is going to taste like banana cream pie it is going to be loaded with caolories. The best way to cut the calories in half is to eat only half a slice.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner