Coffee Beans from Shit

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Coffee Beans from Shit

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:03 am

Honestly, I tried to find a polite qua diplomatic way to entitle this thread but the only word that truly seems to apply is the one I used.

We've discussed the coffee made by cleaning civet droppings before but worth reading this both informative and amusing article from the New York Times at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/world ... lobal-home

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Coffee Beans from Shit

Postby Mike_F » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:41 am

Civets also carry one of the SARS family of viruses. If the yuppies who buy this stuff ever find that out, it might give a whole new meaning to the term "shitty coffee"...
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Postby Bobby S » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:17 am

This coffee pairs exceptionally well with truffles, I guess.
Bobby S
Wine geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:22 pm

I finally got to try this coffee just about a year ago during one of my jaunts in the USA. Quite good I'll admit but truth be told at that price and considering the difference I prefer real Jamaican Blue Mountain and about sixty other varieties of Caribbean, Central American, South American and African coffees. Not to mention the blends that I so enjoy.

Simply stated, god bless Higgins Coffee Man in London.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Bobby S » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:01 pm

I agree that Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is worth the extra dollars.
Bobby S
Wine geek

Postby Shlomo R » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:20 am

I've enjoyed Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee a couple of times in my life, but there's NO WAY I am going to try civet coffee. Yes, I know where chicken eggs come from, but I'm not trying coffee that came that way.
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
Shlomo R
Ultra geek

Postby Ryan M » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:24 pm

This stuff is roasted by one of a local roastery and available in local gourmet groceries. I would never consider buying it at the price asked. Would I try it if offered? Perhaps on the right day, in the right mood, for academic curiosity only and not for personal enjoyment . . . . maybe. I must ask, is it even possible for this stuff to be Kosher?

For the price, I'd rather have a about 4 pounds of Koa Coffee Plantation's Estate Peaberry Kona - by far the finest coffee I've ever had.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
Ryan M
Wine Gazer

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner