Jacks Coastguard Station, Cromane Co Kerry and Long Island

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Jacks Coastguard Station, Cromane Co Kerry and Long Island

Postby Trevor F » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:37 am

This place is very nice. Cromane is a small village on the southern shore of Dingle Bay at the head of the Ring of Kerry.

Jacks is the end house in a row of terraced stone houses overlooking the bay and presumably this was the coastguard station. Go through the front entrance and there is a snug bar. Past that and you walk into a newly built restaurant extension ( opened June 2008 ) with large windows through which you can see the Dingle mountains in the far distance, Inch beach in the middle distance ( where some of Ryan's Daughter was filmed ) and a view all the way along the bay to the open Atlantic. I got there at around sunset last night. Last week's fine weather had vanished and there were low dark rain clouds interspersed with blue sky and watery sunshine filtering through the clouds. The view alone is worth going there for.

There was some problem with the heating so the owner had turned on some portable radiators. There is a mainly fish and seafood menu. The special was pan-fried halibut on a bed of noodles with a concassee of tomatoes, aubergine and coconut. This was served with a sizeable portion of champ ( potato mash with spring onion ), carrots and broccoli. This was all very good and it was washed down a glass of the black stuff. Couldn't fault it. The fish portion may have been a tad on the small side but this was minor compared with the food and the service. Bill came out to 30 Euros. One of the better restaurants in Ireland.

http://www.ireland-guide.com/establishm ... .6165.html

From one side of the Atlantic to the other. On Sunday I'm off to Plainview, Long Island, on business. If you have recommendations on Long Island please let me know below.
Trevor F
Ultra geek

Re: Jacks Coastguard Station, Cromane Co Kerry and Long Island

Postby Daniel Rogov » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:07 am

By chance was in the area several weeks ago and dined rather pleasantly at Maxwell and Dunne's Steakhouse (1600 Round Swamp Road, Plainview). My own meal consisted of a sea bass ceviche as a first course and then on to a truly excellent T-Bone steak with Bearnaise sauce (the sauce specially requested).

Be sure while there to take time to go by ferry to Fire Island. No restaurants there but absolutely charming to drive or stroll about.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner