Indian restaurants in Israel?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Indian restaurants in Israel?

Postby Mike_F » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:09 am

Dear Rogov and all,

Looking for updated recommendations for Indian restaurants in Tel-Aviv and central region. Are there any worth considering apart from the ubiquitous Tandoori chain? And if the choice is limited to Tandoori, which branch is better - Herzliya or Tel-Aviv?

thanks,

Mike
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Re: Indian restaurants in Israel?

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:00 am

Mike, Hi....

Apologies for the delay in responding......

Once upon a time there were several really good Indian restaurants in and near Tel Aviv. Today, alas, most have folded up their tents and vanished into the night. Very best bet is Rina Pushkarna's Tandoori in Herziliya (far, far better than the Tel Aviv branch). Ifyou go for lunch, order a la carte and avoid the buffet!

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Mike_F » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:07 am

Thanks much!

mike
Of course we must be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.”
Richard Dawkins
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Postby Mike_F » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:36 pm

We went to the Herzliya branch on a weekday evening. Restaurant mostly empty, except for a couple of large tables with mainly Indian clientele. Pushkarna and staff very friendly and welcoming, but too many mix-ups with orders and confusion to bode well for the place if this is their usual level of efficiency. The food was good, but not outstanding. I would certainly come back for lunch if I worked in the area, but not high on the list for an evening out.
Richard Dawkins
Mike_F
Ultra geek

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:33 pm

Mike, Hi....

Agreed. For me, best Indian dining "in the neighborhood" is either London or Paris.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Stuart Yaniger » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:31 am

Couldn't disagree more. I've eaten at plenty of Indian restaurants in London (believed the hype), had exactly one excellent meal, one moderately good one, and dozens of mediocre ones. As for France... The problem seems to be dumbing down the food for local tastes. Can't blame the restaurateurs, it's demand and supply. But there's a total lack of creativity and daring in both the menus and the preparations.

I haven't been back to India since the changes in the dining out scene over the past 20 years. But... I have had superb Indian meals in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Hong Kong, and New York. And a pretty fine one in (of all places) Charlotte, NC.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
Stuart Yaniger
Stud Muffin

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:20 am

Stuart, Hi.....

I agree that the vast majority of Indian restaurants have as much in common with true Indian food as do the Chinese restaurants in the United States have in common with the varied cuisines of China. I have, however, discovered a handful of Indian restaurants, mostly simple family-owned places in out-of-the-way neighborhoods that serve up an excellent variety of dishes, some even specializing in the cuisine of one sub-region or another.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner