Poppy Seed Beigli

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Poppy Seed Beigli

Postby Celia » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:05 am

(Rogov, I hope it isn't inappropriate to cross-post from Robin's page just this once - I thought there might be some forumites here who might have knowledge about grinding poppy seeds. Please feel free to delete this if you'd prefer!)

Today I tried a new recipe for beigli using canned poppy seed filling. This was an adventure for me, because I'd never tried anything like this before, but it's proven to be very popular indeed with the tasters (with the exception of my husband Pete, who doesn't like the almond essence in the filling - he's not a marzipan fan). I wrote about it on my blog here.

My question is this - how do you go about grinding poppy seeds at home? My elderly Hungarian friend insists that it was easy to buy ground poppy seeds years ago, but lately people only sell the whole ones. Do you use a coffee grinder or (heaven forbid) a mortar and pestle? Will a blender work? Another article I read suggested that you could soak the poppy seeds first in boiling water and that might make it easier to grind. Does anyone have any tips please? I'd love to try this recipe again, and if I grind the seeds myself, I can leave the almond essence out of the mix.

Many thanks,

Celia (visiting from WLDG! :))
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
Celia
Village Baker

Re: Poppy Seed Beigli

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:24 am

Celia, Hi.....

No problem with the post. We're kissing cousins after all.

As to grinding, I use my coffee grinder. Mortar and pestle is simply too much work and blender doesn't do it fine enough for my taste.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Celia » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:11 pm

Thanks Rogov. Doesn't end up too oily for the coffee grinder? I'm wondering if a standard nut mill might work...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
Celia
Village Baker

Postby Michelle Nordell » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:31 pm

Hi Celia,

Unfortunately, I have only made poppy seed filling once for hamantashen. My husband doesn't like poppy seeds so I never get to experiment with them anymore.

Your beigli looks delicious.
My food blog: Baroness Tapuzina
Michelle Nordell
Wine geek

Postby Celia » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:35 pm

Thanks Michelle. Sounds like our husbands have similar tastes....sigh.. :)

Did you make your filling from scratch? And if so, how did you grind your seeds? thanks..

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
Celia
Village Baker

Postby Daniel Rogov » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:54 pm

celia wrote: Doesn't end up too oily for the coffee grinder? I'm wondering if a standard nut mill might work...

I've never had an oil problem with the grinder (using it at its highest speed so that the grinding is quite rapid. Indeed though a nut mill would work quite well.

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Celia » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:54 am

Thanks again, Rogov!

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
Celia
Village Baker

Postby Michelle Nordell » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:56 pm

celia wrote:Thanks Michelle. Sounds like our husbands have similar tastes....sigh.. :)

Did you make your filling from scratch? And if so, how did you grind your seeds? thanks..

I did make it from scratch, but the recipe did not call for the poppy seeds to be ground.
My food blog: Baroness Tapuzina
Michelle Nordell
Wine geek

Postby Charlie Dawg » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:47 pm

I grind my poppy seeds mixed with sugar using meat grinder, I usually do it twice to get needed consistency. Works just fine for me. I wish I could buy ready made stuff though. Last time I saw some it was so expensive I was able to buy 4 times poppy seeds and the sugar together for that much money.
You are what you eat.
Charlie Dawg
Ultra geek

Postby Celia » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Thanks Michelle.

Charlie, thank you - the tinned stuff was very expensive. It was A$9 (about US$6) for an 850g tin (a little under 2lbs). It was pretty good though!

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
Celia
Village Baker

Postby Celia » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:31 am

A follow-up....

I ended up buying a grinder (as you do) and it's absolutely wonderful. My second batch of beigli were more successful - I cooked the filling down and added a thin layer of apricot jam, which boosted the sweetness a couple of notches. I also put a much thicker filling in, which worked very well!

In case anyone is interested, there's more here.

Cheers, Celia

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
Celia
Village Baker

Postby Daniel Rogov » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:16 am

Celia, Hi....

Looks and sound delicious!!!!

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Postby Celia » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:58 pm

Thanks Rogov! It met my elderly Hungarian neighbour's approval. She complained that the filling in the first ones were "too stingy". :)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
Celia
Village Baker

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner