Children as Chefs. The Latest Wave?

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Children as Chefs. The Latest Wave?

Postby Daniel Rogov » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm all for children in the kitchen but when it comes to the latest phenomenon of supposedly gifted child cooks who are said to be leading the way in the culinary world it is dificult to be anything more than just plain nasty in my reactions. Regina Schrambling writes an irritated piece in Slate about the phenomenon. Worth reading at http://www.slate.com/id/2212816/pagenum/all

Best
Rogov
Daniel Rogov
Resident Curmudgeon

Re: Children as Chefs. The Latest Wave?

Postby Matilda L » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:47 pm

This line from the article pretty well says it for me.

On a larger scale, the trend emphasizes the worst of the food frenzy today: the celebration of celebrity and novelty over authenticity and seriousness

Someone once said something about child performers to the effect that the wonder of it is not that they are doing it well: it is that they are doing it at all. Children as chefs seems to be another manifestation of the same. Do child chefs have "Kitchen mothers" the same way child performers have "Stage mothers"?
Matilda L
Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Postby Ian Sutton » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:27 pm

I quite like the idea of an 11 year old Gordon Ramsey-a-like

Oh for F*** sake give it here. This is how you make a F***in' omelette.

At least it would kill off that genre quickly :lol:
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Postby Shel T » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:18 am

Yes the author got it just right and as appalling as this 'hero worship' is, what else can you expect when we've had a generation of PC parenthood where "loser" is a dirty word and every child gets an award for everything including extreme ineptitude, the mommies and daddies gloat and 'kvell' over their kiddy genii who are told from the womb how 'special' they are and how it's a slam dunk that they'll appear on the cover of People Magazine or be featured alongside Paris Hilton in TMZ. So it's no eye-opening bombshell that there's a horde of teens who can't cope with rejection or disappointment as they've never been told about 'reality'.
And so to this article pointing out the obvious that there's a whole lot of folks being subjected to this garbage and my prediction is it's gonna get worse.
Nullum gratuitum prandium
Shel T
Durable Bon Vivant

Postby Charlie Dawg » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:56 pm

Sensationalism (though is nothing new) in press plus the atmosphere of my child must be number one. And voila, we have got a new …… fill in a blank, chef in this case.

But going back to article and the mention of RR, why shouldn’t be a 4 year old a sensation if she is. She has as much sense when it comes to cooking as 4 year old, so maybe there is a 4 year old who actually can cook.
You are what you eat.
Charlie Dawg
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner